Powerbook keeps freezing!

Jermsmingy

Registered
I have a powerbook g4(800mhz) running 10.2. About a week ago my system froze while burning a CD. So I restarted and put a new CD in and tried again. This time a kernel panic occurred. My system froze twice since then until yesterday. My system would just freeze (not a kernel panic) Then it wouldn't want to restart, so I reset the power managment. I had to do that aobut 4 times just to get my computer to start up. I decided I would erase the drive and install jaguar again. The computer had a kernel panic trying to install jaguar on a clean drive. I finally got jaguar installed and was updating to 10.2.3 and the computer froze. I then tried to run hardware test using the CD that came with my powerbook, and it froze while trying to boot from the CD finally after it freezing twice I ran the test and it said everything was okay. I tried to reinstall jaguar again. This time I cannot get disc 2 to load. The computer has frozen twice and has had 4 kernel panics. I also reset the P Ram to see if that would help but it hasn't. I ran a fsck and it came up with no errors. I tried to verify the disk and repair disk permissions using the jaguar CD, and twice it said it couldn't check the drive because it failed to mount. When I was finally able to verify the disk it said nothing was wrong. Is there anything that I am missing. I know that in rare cases kernel panics can be caused by hardware. Since I am having kernel panics when I am booting/booted from a CD it leads me to believe that this issue is hardware related. If any of you have any ideas please help! Thanks!

Hmm, sounds to me like a corrupted hard drive - possibly at the low level. Have you tried reformatting the drive?

Back