PowerBook memory

koim

Registered
I´ve recently purchased a new PowerBook from Apple with 256 megabytes RAM to go with it.

But, of course I want more. I didn‘t buy more from Apple originally because I thought it was too expensive for that extra 256 chip.

However, my question is:

What specs should the RAM i buy have?

I know this:

144 pins SO DIMM
133 Mhz SDRAM

What else matters? Please, I don´t want to fry my brand new machine with some faulty RAM :confused:

That's all the specs you need. Your PowerBook probably also requires RAM with a seek time below 10ns, but most (if not all) 133 MHz chips meet that requirement. But the general rule is, expensive RAM is more reliable than cheap RAM. Expensive RAM also usually has lifetime warranty.
And just to enlighten you on what these things mean; :)

-144 pin is the number of physical connections (pins) between the RAM chip and the motherboard.
-SO DIMM is the form of the chip. SO DIMMs are usually used for laptops (and the G4 iMac), while normal sized DIMMs are used for desktops.
-133 MHz is the clock speed the chip is designed to run on. 133 MHz chips are cross compatible with slower speeds (e.g. 100 MHz).
-SDRAM stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory

Hope that helps :)

Or, more specific. If I buy some RAM where the voltage isn’t specified? What’s the standard?

You mean 5v? I've never seen 5v 133/100 MHz SO-DIMMs, I don't know if they even exist.
But if a 5v chip is installed in a 3,3 system, I think it will just not work. Nothing will be damaged, I think. 3,3v chips in 5v systems, though, would probably fail.

Thanks, but I live in Norway. So ordering from the U.S. would probably not be the easiest way around. :D

Back