Powerbook review

vanguard

Registered
I guess I'm the first one to post this:

review

It's a review of the new powerbook. He spends a lot of time on the negative but in the end he says that he mostly likes it. It seems like an unbiased and fair review from a longtime but demanding MacHead.

Enjoy,
Vanguard

i agree with most of the points brought up. i got mine for $350+ less than retail so its hard to complain though. :D

the LCD is not good quality. i would say its even worse than the iBook. mine for some reason had a funky gold tint to it out of the box. i adjusted it but i still dont think its where it should be.

for everyday use (mail, internet, word, itunes), the 12" pBook doesnt feel much if any faster than an 800MHz iBook. bummer.

my LCD doesnt fit flush when closed as if it is warped. the battery doesnt fit flush against the case either.

it does get hot when plugged in but when unplugged, it doesnt get half as hot. still, the fan rarely comes on and when it does, its pretty quiet.

i dont think its worth $1800 compared to an iBook. when updated iBook arrives, this 12" pBook is going to look pretty weak for the price, even if it goes to 1GHz.

I ordered a PBook 12 inches few days ago....what you mean thre screen quality is low?? i founf the iBook screen quite nice... and lovely....

It gets hot...well... that is normal... it is a G4

the HD is slow....well if you do video production...

the videocard is bad...

well def better then the Radeon on the iBooks...and i could easily play games there.....

I just want to uhderstand fully the review...since i ordered one and i should get it soon......

can you please be more specific on the Screen quality??

thank

Yeah BBenve I kinda feel the same way about reviews of the 12" powerbook I've read.

The graphics card might be slow when compared to the 17" powerbook, but it's probably better than a Geforce2MX (I'm guessing here, am I right?) which I currently use for playing games, and haven't had a problem with.

Relative to a 15" or 17" or dual processor Powermac the 12" may not measure up. But how does it compare to the new iMacs, eMacs or iBooks? From what I've heard it performs quite well next to these. It may be a powerbook, but Apple have priced this thing so ordinary chumps like me can afford one. I think Apple comsumer line comparisions should be shown as well as professional line comparisions to give a fair indication of where the 12" really fits in (instead of statements like it's "crap").

Well obviously the quality of the 12 inches PBook is not as hight as the 17 one..and i think it wasn't even ment to be.. i mean is a High end (semiprofessional) consumer laptop.... especially cause i believe that a hard core pro..would not use a laptop...or would get the 17 inches.. the 12 inches is a PowerBook for the rest of us...yet full featured and with HIgh end hardware see G4
I believe it is unfair to compare the 12 inches to the 17..they re to similar machies but with different market...

compared to the iBook...i feel the 12 inches 500$ more ....are worthed...the G4 is more powerfull the GeeForce is better than the radeon on the iBook... the size are different...even by just a bit... slot loading instead of tray drive...bluetooth and Airport Extreme

add this little differences all together....and you ll see where the 500$ difference is....and i think..it is worthed....

Can someone please enlight me?

Back