Powerbook screen fuzzy / pixelated

adobtan

Registered
I'm having this annoying problem with my Powerbook G4 laptop (bought February 2005).

About 2 months ago I noticed that when I shut my screen off (using the dim buttons) the screen would randomly flash a blue flash for a slip second. It would happen unpredictably and seemed to be getting more frequent.

As weeks went on the screen began pixelating while it was on and being used. Basically, a bunch of random pixels who become purple or green. It was on and off, but is getting more and more.

A few weeks back my screen died completely. It just wasn't lit. After using it for a week by lamplight, I got it repaired. They said it was the inverter and charged me $200. But the screen was back.

Later that day, while the screen was lit again, the pixely problem was back. It's been getting worse since then, I'm afraid the screen will need to be replaced ($400). My machine hasn't been dropped or faced any trauma.

My gut feeling it that maybe their is some kind of power issue. For example, sometimes my powercord sparks a little bit when I plug it in. It makes an audible clicking sound as the power starts. I kind of thought this was normal. But I wonder if this might be slowing frying out my screen / the inverter (which did die - and I don't think is common). All I'm saying is that I think the screen related problems are the same. Maybe it's not the power or the fact that I'm using the recalled battery still. But after $200 on a half-fix, I'm weary to head back to the repair guys.

If anyone has any idea or feeling about what the problem might be or things to try to fix it, please do give a post.

By the way, I did already run through a list of task (disk utility, resetting pram, using techtool, apple hardware test cd) with no luck. I know its the screen and not the software, because I was able to test using a screenshot.

It is my feeling that I wore something out since I used to dim the screen religiously thinking that it would prolong screen life (which doesn't make sense when you think about it, but at the time I thought it would help to have the screen off more than on). What would doing that wear out? Maybe I can replace a part myself?

Attached is a photo using my digital camera which captures the pixaly thing I was talking about. You can see 2 distinct ovals of purple and green pixals. I just don't get it...

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    413.9 KB · Views: 23
That's odd !

It looks like it was set at 256 colors instead of millions.

But I suppose you've already checked that.

BamBam

I'm having the same problem, but my screen goes completely crazy. Green and yellows with lines running up and down the screen. It's only when I tilt the screen to get a better angle. I was told by a friend that it's actually a bad logic board. You might want to check it out.

Back