Powerbook Ti 667MHz--Worth Putting Money Into?

Mobius Rex

Registered
I've barely used it since I got my 17" Auminum PB a year and a half ago. Thinking of using it again, but as a secondary computer.
I would need to get a new battery; I also want to put two 512MB chips in place of the two 256MB ones, and put a slightly larger hard drive into it. I'm estimating the cost to be $400-$450, and even more if I upgrade the combo drive to something that'll burn CDs.
The screen's flawless and the case is in really good shape, but at 667MHz, the processor is a bit slow by today's standards. And there's always the possiblility of failure of one or another of the PBs original parts over the next few years(I would want to use it for a few years).
D'ya think it's worth putting the $400+ into?

>Thinking of using it again, but as a secondary computer.
>I would need to get a new battery; I also want to put two 512MB chips in place of the two >256MB ones, and put a slightly larger hard drive into it. I'm estimating the cost to be $400
>$450, and even more if I upgrade the combo drive to something that'll burn CDs.

I'm assuming that your aluminum PB does all of the above... the cd burning, etc. In addition, all the memory in the world ain't gonna make up for that slow processor. Anything that is cpu UNintensive can be accomplished with the PB as is... anything that requires all the memory and larger HD will undoubtedly call for more cpu than your processor can give. I'd save the money and put it toward A) upgrades for your Aluminnum PB, or B) a future Macbook! : D

-S

I agree with Scacinto. Depends on what you are looking to do with it. If just cruising the web, word processing, be happy with the way it it.
I have a battery from my 867 titanium PB, if your interested.

I agree, too: Certainly depends on what you intend to do with it. RAM _does_ help performance, and a 667 MHz TiBook is not the slowest thing in the world, either.

Replacing the harddrive can be a really tiresome task, though. I'd rather get an external FW 400 drive, since you can use that with your AluBook as well –*and even use it with your _next_ notebook, probably.

400$ plus: No way. But if you state what you intend to actually use it for, better tips will be brought up here.

Well, folks, that's three thumbs down. Since I'm not planning on doing any "fancy dancing" with my Ti, I guess I'll just replace the battery and use it as it is.
Powermac, let me know what you want for your Ti battery; I'm assuming that it's got some useful life left in it?:eek: Send me a private message, if you would.
Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate it.:)

Back