Powerbook Titanium G4 Dvi Modem No Dial Tone

the_arkitek

Registered
Okay so read the subject to guess what i'm running. i need to know if i can get the old panther drivers or some kind of fix to patch up the tiger modem problem of not getting a dial tone from ppp connection. i know that:
- it isn't the cable
- it isn't the connections inside the computer
- it isn't the modem itself
- it isn't the isp(numbers etc)
- it isn't the modem configurations (argh! don't ask)
- it worked on panther 10.3.9
- it doesn't work now

.... thanks

John

the_arkitek said:
Okay so read the subject to guess what i'm running. i need to know if i can get the old panther drivers or some kind of fix to patch up the tiger modem problem of not getting a dial tone from ppp connection. i know that:
- it isn't the cable
- it isn't the connections inside the computer
- it isn't the modem itself
- it isn't the isp(numbers etc)
- it isn't the modem configurations (argh! don't ask)
- it worked on panther 10.3.9
- it doesn't work now

.... thanks

John

I've had the no dial tone problem since taking the Powerbook G4 15 inch, 1.5/1.33ghz out of the box last December. At the time, the laptop had Panther's 10.3.3 installed. I was told to reinstall it several times. Nothing helped. Eventually the techs decided I needed to upgrade to 10.3.7. I did. I still had connection problems and as the months went on, more problems developed. I would sign on at 48000 bps or higher and the computer would behave like it was signed on at 1200 bps. It would take 30-60 seconds to open an email. Another 30 seconds to close the email. I was knocked offline often. It would take 10 minutes or longer to get back online while I got messages that there was no dial tone (there was), no carrier signal (there was), the modem wasn't accepting the set up commands, etc... As time went on, it would take 30 seconds to move from one window to another, i.e. - I'd have an email open and click to bring an IM, Netscape or iTunes window to the front and then wait for the computer to react. Finally it got to the point where I couldn't surf, every website I tried to open would time out.

I changed the phone jack I normally connect to. It didn't help. I had my phone line checked, it's fine. Which I knew, the laptop has the same problems when I use it in hotels and friends' houses. Friends laptops operate fine online in my house. As does an old Quadra 650 that I have, it has no modem problems. I've tried using the airport in hotels and have had similar problems.

By the end of July, it would take ten minutes to sign off. I was being knocked off line every five minutes. It would take over a minute to open and close an email. I sent the G4 back to Apple. The modem, top case and logic board were replaced. While I could now switch between windows, open email, websites in a more timely manner, the laptop still had problems with signing online and disconnecting in a timely manner. Eight weeks later, the timely manner problems were back.

Earlier this week the laptop went back to Apple. The filter board, modem, flex crkt assembly, etc... were replaced this time. I received the laptop back from Apple yesterday. Not a thing had changed, except now it takes thirty minutes of no dial tone, no carrier signal, modem not accepting set up command, etc... messages before I get online.

I called Apple this afternoon. The tech wants me to reinstall the Panther version that came with the laptop - 10.3.3. I explained as nicely as I could that I did that in December and January several times, with no improvement. He assured me that it has to be a software glitch and reinstalling this time would solve the problem. And yes, pigs will be flying tomorrow.

Another problem I have is the excessive heat that the laptop generates. If I use the laptop on a flat surface, the top case and keyboard become to hot to touch at times. If I use the laptop while balancing it on my legs, the skin on my legs have become discolored. I've had a purple mark (3"x4") on my right thigh from balancing the laptop. The mark will not go away.

In summary, Apple has appeared to permanently change the pigmentation on my thigh and hasn't been able to correct the problems with the slow reaction the computer has to my commands.

Anyone have a solution?

hi, well actually i picked up a dead dvi powerbook off trademe (ebay equivilant here in nz) and replaced the powerbooks modem and away we go. plus 10.4.2 upgrade apparantely helped, not sure if it was upgrade or modem.

as for your problem .... install 10.3.9 as that will ensure all the latest os fix's, and hopefully yours as well. download this from software update on another computer with internet connection. (click download update, instead of install, or install & keep) and then firewire, burn a cd, ethernet, etc the 10.3.9 combined update across.

cheers.
The_arkitek

Back