Powerbook upgrade

wildchild

Registered
Good day all I need a bit of help, I recently purchased a used 400 Mhz PowerBook in near mint condition to brand new shape I mean it seems to be brand new all though I know its not. Ok I was wondering would it be a watse of money to have this PowerBook upgraded with a internal cd/rw drive. I have no need for a superdrive but a cd/rw drive would be nice.

I was also wondering what is the big deal these days with everyone trying to have the highest possible processor number ? maybe its just me but this little 400 Mhz PowerBook rocks ! I mean if all you are doing is checking email and doing some light surfing I am not sure why everyone is falling for theses high processor speeds that you will nevere use just checking email and surfing the net from time to time. I mean sure I would love a new 1.2 Ghz PowerBook but $2000 oh my God !!!!!! I can run up to 5 programs or more at one time plus listen to iTunes without hesitation on my little 400 Mhz PowerBook I am not sure that some of these super fast processor speeds are just a scam :D

Whether or not to upgrade your PowerBook with a CD-RW drive is completely up to you and whether YOU would think it's a waste of time/money. I still work on a trusty old G4/400 PCI machine and recently upgraded it with a SuperDrive for $120. I didn't feel it was a waste of time or money.

I will that that I could definitely use a little more power under the hood, though. Many, many people do a lot more than surf the web and use email with their PowerBooks, so the extra processor speed it definitely a plus when you're working in PhotoShop or Final Cut Pro or any number of other applications. I'm sure they'd do just fine with 500MHz or 667MHz, but when your clients depend on quick, professional work, the extra horsepower is not just for showing off. Not everyone's PowerBook is a home machine or a toy -- many people make their livings with their PowerBooks, and when you're competing with other businesses, a few MHz can make the difference between having an account and losing an account.

I do agree with you that a lot of people (and a lot of people on this forum) seem to be a little obsessed with having the fastest possible machine out there, regardless of whether they'll actually use the extra horsepower or not. The extra horsepower is definitely worth the money if you'll use it.

Back