PowerBook's new PC rival--designed by Porsche

Why only if you want to run Windows? There are some really nice OS alternatives out there. RedHat 8.0 for example might look really nice on that baby. Anyone know what the battery life is like?

Originally posted by fryke
Why only if you want to run Windows? There are some really nice OS alternatives out there. RedHat 8.0 for example might look really nice on that baby. Anyone know what the battery life is like?

Because I've been running Linux since about 1996 and still think it makes a piss-poor desktop OS. And I hate Red Hat. I run Debian. I'm running it, as well as XP, on the laptop they got me for work. I just don't have the time to waste anymore trying to get an mpeg to play and solve any of the other myriad of issuses I have with it.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff. I just want things to work these days.

Originally posted by hazmat
Because I've been running Linux since about 1996 and still think it makes a piss-poor desktop OS. And I hate Red Hat. I run Debian. I'm running it, as well as XP, on the laptop they got me for work. I just don't have the time to waste anymore trying to get an mpeg to play and solve any of the other myriad of issuses I have with it.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff. I just want things to work these days.

I just laughed out loud when I read this.

I know I'm getting to old for that kind of stuff.

I just looked at the thing.

It's a PowerBook for goodness sake.

It took someone 2 years and Porche Design to copy the PowerBook? Geez. These guys are dumber that I suspected.

Just as Apple is (probably) planning to move forward with something else.

What I especially like is the sexy name:

"VPR Matrix 200A5"

A name only a geek could love.

I'll bet the Playschool UI of Windows XP really compliments the aesthetics of this thing.

What's so special about that little, ugly thing? It's thicker than the PowerBook, and it looks like a compaq.

They copied the PowerBook's overall design... but then screwed it up. How? By putting in all those damn blinking lights, buttons, switches, and ports in obvious places. Once again, Apple proves it's the little things that count. Except for the essential lines of parts on the PowerBook, it's a seamless product. THIS thing on the other hand, has little thingies everywhere marring what would normally be an attractive design.

Don't even get me started on the designs of some cars these days...oi... lol...

I thought I had read that on Ogrady long time ago.

This design isn't even from Porsche Design, It's from a relative of the Porsche family. I think Porsche would be embarrassed by this type of blatent copy.

nate

Not that I'm giving this thing a shining endorsement...but I've always wished I could play CD's on my powerbook without having to have the lid open or use a separate program. I think it's handy to have easily accessed controls and such to be able to do this...

*ducks to avoid the oncoming flames*

The Porsche design laptop has strong Bauhaus design philosophy ... just the lines and the use of its construction and parts. Actually, its closest relative looks like the IBM designed computers by Richard Sapper. Although I like minimalistic design, this kind of design can look dated becuase it's not showy/flashy. It could look like it was designed in the 1970s (if laptops and technology to make it taht small existed). The Powerbook has subtle features, more original on its own.

dw

Frankly who cares who designed it or how good it looks? After you boot it up it's still running Windows and that's a step down from the Mac OS.

MDA

Originally posted by MDA
Frankly who cares who designed it or how good it looks? After you boot it up it's still running Windows and that's a step down from the Mac OS.

MDA

You could run Rhapsody on it :D
But no, I'd never pay $2200 for a PC, hehe

Apple innovates...the rest of the industry scrambles to rip it off in their own f***ed up way.
Why doesn't Besy Buy just pull a Dell and sell actual PowerBooks? It's so much easier.

Originally posted by kommakazi
Apple innovates...the rest of the industry scrambles to rip it off in their own f***ed up way.
Why doesn't Besy Buy just pull a Dell and sell actual PowerBooks? It's so much easier.

Because contrary to popular belief here, not everyone wants, or can have, a Mac.

I'm not saying that everyone wants a Mac. I just find it increadibly stupid that PC manufacturers will copy Apple's designs unrelentlessly to make their machine have the same eye-appeal. Why don't they try a little of their own innovation in PC case design rather than consistantly making it look like a cheap Mac knock-off, which it essentially is when you throw a copy of Windows on it (minus the cheap part for the OS).

I don't know what to say, really. I never thought it was a knock-off of a Powerbook. I mean there are only so many ways you can make a latop, considering the space you have to work with it, you know? I had to get a laptop (of my choice as long as it was x86) for work. It was so frustrating. Nothing of a light thin case had internal dvd/cdrom. It was all trade-offs. I was WISHING for something like this. I applaud them for making something of this size, weight, and feature set.

It' unfair to call something a knock-off just because of appearance.. If a laptop can become thinner by using different materials, does that mean the first person to build it like that is the original and no one else is allowed to use that concept?

Just like hazmat said.. there are only so many ways you can make a laptop. I'm not saying that the laptop does not closely resemble a mac, but I'm implying that they too want to make laptops thin and light. It's not their fault that apple already made a laptop using the same material. Now it would be an issue if they use innovation that Apple brought first to the market. Apple did not create the material they just use it to build their product just like everyone else.

With that all said, I still like the looks of the Ti book compared to this pc laptop.

My point is that it's not just this case, it happens with everything Apple puts out. Apple doesn't just 'happen' to be first this time, they are first about every time.

Back