PowerMac 733 or 800 or 933???

superfula

Registered
I'm a longtime pc user who will be getting my first mac here soon. But I'm having trouble deciding between the 733 and 800, and maybe the 933

Looking at what MacMall has, I am leading toward the 800 because of the extra ram and the radeon card.

And then the 933 from the Apple store looks nice. But I switched out the geforce4 for the Radeon, and switched out the superdrive for the CDRW. But it ends up being around 300 more than the 800 with 256MB less ram than the 800. Does the 2MB L3 cache make that much of a speed differences? Is it worth it? Does the 800 have any L3 cache, or just the L2?

Lots of questions I know. I'm new to this scene. Thanks

I just helped a friend buy a new machine. Some vendors still had 867 G4s. this might be a decent option for you. Why do you want to swap out the Geforce?

Well, the Radeon is a better card than the Geforce4 MX. Alot less problems on the radeon. Have been perusing on the Apple duscussion boards at apple.com. People there are pushing radeon because of the troubles that geforce is having with macs

I have a radeon and I've never been particularly happy with the drivers. The 867 I mentioned would have a GeForce 2 MX if that makes a difference.

I looked around for the 867. Didn't find very many. Most were around 2000 dollars, which is more than the 933 at apple.com that i liked. The biggest advantage to apple.com is you can configure systems. If I could configure an 867 somewhere, i may just do that.

The Geforce2 is out for me. Compared to the geforce4 troubles with drivers, etc....i hadn't heard that much bad about Radeon. I know ATI's drivers have never been that great either on PC

Back