Powermac G3 B&W & Jaguar

amad3us

Registered
I recently purchased a 350mhz Powermac G3 Blue-and-white as a project computer, and have tried to install both OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.2 but both having install issues. I have a cd set for jaguar that came with my G4 iMac and first tried to install OS 9, about 90% done it started coming up with messages saying "______ could not be installed, it requires OS 9" so on and so forth, and when it restarted the flashing folder came up, so I tried to install OS X. OS X seemed to be installing fine and when it restarted after completing disc 1, the apple logo screen came up and seemed to be loading and then it stopped and white lines appeared throughout the middle of the screen, and that's all it will do. I have heard about the issues with the 1st revision of the Powermac B&W's and OS X, but I have checked and my machine is a revision 2. What can I do?

amad3us said:
I recently purchased a 350mhz Powermac G3 Blue-and-white as a project computer, and have tried to install both OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.2 but both having install issues. I have a cd set for jaguar that came with my G4 iMac and first tried to install OS 9, about 90% done it started coming up with messages saying "______ could not be installed, it requires OS 9" so on and so forth, and when it restarted the flashing folder came up, so I tried to install OS X. OS X seemed to be installing fine and when it restarted after completing disc 1, the apple logo screen came up and seemed to be loading and then it stopped and white lines appeared throughout the middle of the screen, and that's all it will do. I have heard about the issues with the 1st revision of the Powermac B&W's and OS X, but I have checked and my machine is a revision 2. What can I do?

They could be bad discs, or it could be that the iMac media don't work with the PowerMac.

I'd suggest legally obtaining the G3 reinstall discs or a retail version of OS 9 or OS X.

The only thing wrong with that is that the exact same discs were used to install OS X on a G4 eMac, G3 Powerbook, and a G3 iBook within the last week and they worked fine.

While they might work on some systems that have similar configurations as the iMac, the OEM discs aren't a surefire solution. So if you're having problems, it's most likely because of the OEM discs.

The official install discs won't have this problem as they are meant to support all of Apple's hardware that can officially install said version of OS X.

Hi; Have a b+w g3 with OS 10.3.9 on it,Had some problems with install.This is what I did.First verify that you have a rev.2 board,check the ata controller chip by the ram slots.The number on the chip should end with a"402".Next you should have at least 256 mb. of ram.It should be pc-100 Ram.Now for the actual install. Imac install disks sometimes do not work on these machines,I found this out the hard way.You'll need to get the full retail install disks, found mine on ebay new and still sealed for way less than $100.Use these and your install should go without a hitch!

Back