PowerMac G4 Hardware Additions, Failures - Your Opinion

dixonbm

Registered
I've had a number of problems with added hardware to my Dual 1GHZ PowerMac G4 MDD. In the beginning it was Ram issues. Then when I added a USB 2.0 card the machine would no longer wake from 'deep sleep'.

I've also replaced the original superdrive with a much faster 16X LiteOn SuperDrive and a second LiteOn DVD/CDRW drive. I've also added 3 additional hard drives filling all 4 Hard Drive spots, the original 80GB, a 120GB, a 300GB, and a new 400GB drive.

Since adding the last drive I've noticed significantly slow response times from my drives, I'm guessing that they've spun down to conserve energy. When I say slow response times I mean 10-30 seconds at times.

I've also since noticed that my DVD/CD drives will no longer respond after the computer is awoken from a state of sleep entered after the set amount of time has elapsed for sleep to take place

(see this is the only kind of sleep my machine could go into after the addition of the USB 2.0 card.).

So now I can no longer allow my machine to sleep without my CD/DVD drives failing and crashing the computer.

Now for my questions!!!!!

Is it possible that I have overloaded the ATA bus on the system, thus causing the extra slow response times from my drives (including my primary startup disk)?

Also please comment on my hardware additions, good or bad. Personally I feel I have not done anything that Apple had not already made allowances for in the design of the machine.

I welcome your input! Thanks!

'Is it possible that I have overloaded the ATA bus on the system, thus causing the extra slow response times from my drives (including my primary startup disk)? ' - no.
The power supply's output voltages (and related current) ratings? - possibly.

'... please comment on my hardware additions ...'. My comment - (based only on the post provided) you have not added anything out of the ordinary, to a Mac model capable of accepting such hardware. Thus I agree with your final statement - 'I feel I have not done anything that Apple had not already made allowances for in the design of the machine.'.

Back