PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) appears DEAD!

gmorris

Registered
I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver running OS 10.3.9. Hooked up to a wireless router, cable modem, and Samsung LCD monitor.

My machine was working fine up until a few weeks ago. One day, I seem to have some internet connectivity issues (freezing up) so I shutdown using the boot button on the front. The next time I started up the gray initilization screen came up with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel and it did this for a very long time (maybe up to 20 minutes - I don't know exactly cause I walked away). Then that screen finished and brought up my desktop and I was able to work on it.

After returning from vacation (about a week and a half) I started my computer, got the gray screen with Apple logo, no spinning wheel. I hit the restart button on the front of the machine. Next it only showed a black screen - seemed to be dead but it was running:
o heard a startup chime
o the fan is blowing and the drive seems to make some noise (at least the drive was not making any weird noises)
o the power light on the computer lights up.

I tried several things to remedy the problem:
1. I checked all the cables and outlets. Disconnected Ethernet cable. Left it unpluged for a while. Pluged monitor into another computer to make sure it workd and it does.
2. tried resetting PRAM - But did not fix the problem
3. I tried holding down the C key to boot from the CD, but the drive door would not open. The only way the built in superdrive door would open is if I restarted while holding the media eject key down. But it still would not start from the CD.

So I don't know what's going on. I just read today on Apple's site (and haven't tried yet) that I could try:
- Resetting the logic board (remove battery - maybe my battery is weak or dead cause I had my computer unplugged for about a month while I had some home repairs being done).
- Reset the Cuda button (does this model have this?)
- Reseating video card, SDRAM DIMMS, processor module.

Will I have to take this to an authorized repair center?
I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Resetting the logic board and Reset the Cuda button you should do before taking it anywhere for service.

Mine is doing very much the same thing. Might be the subject of a seperate post, but perhaps resetting the logic board etc might work?

G4, dual 1GHz processor, 1.5MB RAM, Seagate 80GB HDD split into two partitions.

The problem:

Push the power on button- LED light underneath comes on- release button- LED goes out and the G4 does nothing else. This is the ONLY thing the computer will do.

Attempted already:

- There is clearly power running into and out of the machine, because the Formac TFT screen has power to it. Notwithstanding this, I swapped the power cables and was confronted with the same problem.

- Holding the power on button down achieves only one thing: the LED remains on, until you release your finger.

Is this a similar problem or should I continue looking into this?

Mine is doing very much the same thing. Might be the subject of a seperate post, but perhaps resetting the logic board etc might work?

G4, dual 1GHz processor, 1.5MB RAM, Seagate 80GB HDD split into two partitions.

The problem:

Push the power on button- LED light underneath comes on- release button- LED goes out and the G4 does nothing else. This is the ONLY thing the computer will do.

Attempted already:

- There is clearly power running into and out of the machine, because the Formac TFT screen has power to it. Notwithstanding this, I swapped the power cables and was confronted with the same problem.

- Holding the power on button down achieves only one thing: the LED remains on, until you release your finger.

Is this a similar problem or should I continue looking into this?

Check your thread for my post on the subject:

http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1328614#post1328614

Back