PowerMac G4 won't make sound

adambyte

Registered
My roommate has problems playing anything with sound on his new PowerMac G4. A restart will fix the problem, but otherwise it refuses to play sound. (I think this problem may only occur after sleep) Anyway, he'll try playing something in iTunes, and the cursor will just sit there. Or, he'll try changing the volume via the keyboard, and it will be either all the way up, or all the way down. And when trying to open sounds in QuickTime, he gets this message:

"You may experience problems playing a soundtrack in "file.aif" because a software component needed by the movie cannot be opened."

Obviously, it's a software problem. But who wants to restart every once in a while to play sound? is there any way to fix this?

btw, he is using all the lastest versions of everything. I checked.

Sounds like something has gone screwy with Quicktime, or the OSX sound system. Have you tried rebooting off the OSX install CD, and running disc repair, then permissions repair on the boot volume? Good place to begin.

I've seen this twice this week on my G4 Cube, I thought it was because I had several audio applications open simultaneously or because some application was accessing an audio file simultaneously. iTunes, Audion, LimeWire, RealOne Player and Quicktime were open. Restart easily fixed it. It happened again, restart fixed it.

Yeah, yeah.... it happened twice on his PowerMac, and hasn't happened since. I was just hoping if there was a way to prevent it from happening again....

I'll tell him to lay off of keeping lots of sound apps open. Hopefully Apple will fix this, soon, as it has happened to me a few rare times, too.

Back