PowerMac G5 2.7 ghz won't start up

pishnaris

Registered
The machine started arbitrarily shutting down on its own. I first thought it was a house power glitch, or something, because the machine would restart normally.

Now it won't restart at all. Pushing the start button illuminates the light above the switch until the button is released, then the light goes out, and nothing seems to happen. After a couple of minutes the fans slowing start revving up, until they're at max RPM, but still no computer function. No boot process, at all, apparent on the monitor, which remains black.

I reset the PMU, but no help. At this point I'm just hoping that the machine didn't overheat and cook the processors.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Pish

If the computer is under warranty, call Apple. Many times the computer will shut down to protect itself. If you added any third-party stuff, like memory, etc, remove them, and return the Mac to its factory specs.
I am not sure on the G5, but on the G4, there was a button on the mother board to reset the logic board. You would press it once, while the machine was off, and then turn it on. Not sure if the G5 has that feature.
Another place to check out is Apple's Tech support boards, to see what other people have done in your situation.

Back