PowerMac is really as good as Apple say?

PoweMACuser

Registered
Now I don't believe that 1Ghz means everything. I have a 1.9Ghz P4, when running XP, it is stupid slow.

I pay more attention to the OS X. OS X has wasted a lot of the computer resource. I hope it can speed up more.

The common misconception is that OS X wastes CPU cylces on animation and superfluous eye candy. I don't think that's the case.

Yeah, bouncing icons in the dock require clock cycles, but if you pull up your CPU monitor, you will see they hardly use any.

OS X's window manager uses quite a bit of processing power, but that's due to the nature of Quartz and it's anti aliased PDF engine. Keep in mind that that each window has a alpha channel for transparency, and is antialiased. Those benefits don't come without some cost. The cost right now is systems on the low end from a year or more ago are going to lack the baseline performance that some expect from this OS.

While OS X will only get better with each release, I wouldn't expect a world of improvement on anything less than a 400mhz G4/G3. Apple is in the hardware business, and they are doing everything they can to entice you to lay out cash for a new computer.

Once people get used to multicore and 64bit procs, plus a little bit of clusering, people over in the x86 area are going to see who owns the high end market.

Saying that right now Macs are faster is a LIE. Just not true. Anything with altivec will blow a P4 out of the water, but for right not intel has been much more focused on short-term gains, than long term planning, and now moto and amd are gonna kick em in the ass. Itanium is no where near as developed as it should be, AMD just keeps belting out good quality procs, and moto has finally climbed back onto the horse, and is actually reaching the goals that it set out to do, raise the system bus, add some DDRRAM and mabey even look at hypertransport inbetween proc cores, and you're gonna be looking at one crazy machine, add in OS X's better control over that proc than XP's and you;re going to see everything come together. The future of mac is very bright.
:)

the future of mac is very bright

/me agrees

I'm looking forward to see the G5 crush those Pentiums (if it happens, and I hope it will!)

Out of line: BTW, even if Apple released a G5 933mhz, it would be faster than the current g4 at the same clock speed , because of the different and better (I suppose) architecture, so supposing a g5 933 mhz = g4 1.4 ghz, it would still be nice!

I don't have much knowledge on this but I am just supposing...

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Once people get used to multicore and 64bit procs, plus a little bit of clusering, people over in the x86 area are going to see who owns the high end market.

Saying that right now Macs are faster is a LIE. Just not true. Anything with altivec will blow a P4 out of the water, but for right not intel has been much more focused on short-term gains, than long term planning, and now moto and amd are gonna kick em in the ass. Itanium is no where near as developed as it should be, AMD just keeps belting out good quality procs, and moto has finally climbed back onto the horse, and is actually reaching the goals that it set out to do, raise the system bus, add some DDRRAM and mabey even look at hypertransport inbetween proc cores, and you're gonna be looking at one crazy machine, add in OS X's better control over that proc than XP's and you;re going to see everything come together. The future of mac is very bright.
:)

Apple's marketing machine is very effective.

1. Altivec will blow a P4 out of the water: This isn't true either. The P4 has a unit called SSE that performs the same sort of 128 bit simd operations that the G4 does. In addition to that, it does it at a higher clock speed. The truth is that when you compare "apples to apples" Intel builds better processors than motorola.

2. Motorola and AMD are going to kick them in the ass: Motorola has nothing but vaporware. (Unless you count a 1 ghz G4) I'd love to seem them leapfrog the x86 crowd again but I'm not predicting it. As for AMD, they have an neat strategy of building a 64bit x86 chip. We'll see if people will buy it instead of the Itanium line. I really don't know.

I'm hopeful that motoral will stop slacking but I haven't seen much to sustain that hope. What I have seen is behind the times chips and massive layoffs. If they don't change things I suspect apple will move to x86 chips. That might be better for Apple. Their chips are better, why stick with a supplier that keeps letting you down?

Vanguard

1. Altivec will blow a P4 out of the water: This isn't true either. The P4 has a unit called SSE that performs the same sort of 128 bit simd operations that the G4 does. In addition to that, it does it at a higher clock speed. The truth is that when you compare "apples to apples" Intel builds better processors than motorola.

It is true that the P4 has a vector processing unit called SSE, but it is not even close to Altivec. The one thing Moto has done exceedingly well is to develop Altivec.

Altivec is very well documented, and it has more "hooks" or ways to code for it. I'm not a technical guru, but based on my understanding of what a few tech gurus have told me, the result of these "hooks" is that Altivec is far easier to optimize code for than SSE.

Thus, you still see Macs running Photoshop faster than P4s. This is because even with SSE optimizations, the P4 cannot beat a G4 with altivec optimizations. SSE is an afterthought on the P4, but on the G4, Altivec gets lots of attention from Moto.

So for now Altivec keeps G4 macs in the game, but when the G5 finally arrives, it's going to crush x86. Finally Macs will not just keep up with pentium 4s, they will surpass them in performance, by far. It's going to be a bright few years after the G5 is introduced. Undoubtedly, Intel will catch up and gain the lead again, but that's the nature of the CPU race, someone is always in the lead and the leader changes every few years. That's why all these people who are clamoring for Apple to dump Moto are missing the point, that motorola will eventually get their sh!t together, take everything they've learned not to do with the G4, and make a bitchin' processor!

Back