PowerMac Will Not Power Bootup

plastichash

Registered
Hi All i have a PowerMac G5 Bought 2nd Hand, Work for a little but i dont know what i have done but it will not bootup,

1) powers up, ( as in comes on )
2) all the fans come on, but its as if the its stuck on power recycle because the fans come on slow down the go fast again then slow down the fast again..... and so on
3) all i can hear is a ticking sound,
4) the screen is blank.

thats all

Anyone got any ideas any help welcome

Which version of the Power Mac G5? I know that some of the 1.8 GHz models had some hardware problems. If this is the model, you might have to take it in for repair. :(

Yes its 1.8 deul Processor, all so the little white light on the front "the power light" keeps on blinking likes its in some sort of stand by mode

This may be of no help. My G4 used to have a reset switch on the mother board, by the battery. I used to have to reset it every so often by using that switch. Not sure if a similar switch is on the G5.
If you have the hard ware test CD that came with it, maybe that can narrow done your trouble shooting.
Also, Apple's discussion boards would likely have others with the same experience and possible solutions.

I agree with PowerMac, it sounds like the reset switch needs to be pressed. This most often happens after a forced shut down, such as a power loss. It is usually a round mettalic button, about 1/4" across, and partially protected by an open box. Press it once for a few seconds and then wait about 15-20 minutes before restarting the machine

Have you tried holding down the power button for a little over 4 seconds? That should shut it down completely. If not, unplug the power cord until the power light shuts off. Wait 5 seconds, plug it in again, and hit the power button and see if it comes back on.

Back