PowerPod?

I'm LOVING that new sony Clie...the "mini laptop" model with Wi-Fi and bluetooth capabilities. If it weren't for the price ($700) and the fact that it's not Mac compatible (although I don't see why it wouldn't be, don't Clie's run Palm OS?) I'd get one...like a little movie theater in my pocket...I'd love to transfer all my EyeTV files and DVD files onto that thing, and have a "video iPod"

Apple didn't even integrate AM/FM into the ipod, what makes anyone think that they would add other functionality?

Originally posted by dave17lax
Apple didn't even integrate AM/FM into the ipod, what makes anyone think that they would add other functionality?

How many people do you know with an iPod that still actually listen to the radio?I know very few and those listen to it for background noise.

The iPod was made for people who want to hear music that they personally like. The radio really has not personal touch to it. Playing 20 popular songs over and over for for those who like those songs until the people get bored with it.

Originally posted by banjo_boy
How many people do you know with an iPod that still actually listen to the radio?I know very few and those listen to it for background noise.

The iPod was made for people who want to hear music that they personally like. The radio really has not personal touch to it. Playing 20 popular songs over and over for for those who like those songs until the people get bored with it.

That is generalizing too much. The station I listen to most is NPR, and after that are a few local stations like the ones you described. I have pretty wide ranging tastes, so I'll hit the pop station, alt rock, alt country, rap, sports, etc as well.

That is generalizing too much. The station I listen to most is NPR, and after that are a few local stations like the ones you described. I have pretty wide ranging tastes, so I'll hit the pop station, alt rock, alt country, rap, sports, etc as well.

There is no generalizing too much! That is plain radio fact. Play songs that everyone "loves" to "can still stand will listen to".

I myself have a huge music taste, but no radio station will make me or many other people happy. I mostly buy, trade, borrow or get CDs from the library.

Now, being in Dallas, you must have some great country stations. In Minneapolis, it is hard to find a non-GarthFaithTimShania crap station.

Well the powerpod looks cool... I have always been fascinated by solar power things! I wonder if there is any solar panal out there that I can just attach on the back of my powerbook (for when I am working in Tanzania ;-) ...

As for the radio... I would certainly listen to the radio if it was on my iPod... would love that! We have some good radio stations back here, the news is good and some programs are really big fun (e.g. Discobar Galaxy at studio brussels ( www.stubru.be ).

Banjo Boy, the iPod never will be more than a glorified music player. A Powerpod device could have potential for that.

Originally posted by Go3iverson
Digital out on the iPod would be cool...
If they did that then they also need to have the ability to play uncompressed AIFF's...

...but neither of those things are going to happen due to piracy issues.

That's why they want you to love AAC's instead of MP3's or AIFF's?

I have the same rant about TiVo's Home Media Option...

Originally posted by arden
Banjo Boy, the iPod never will be more than a glorified music player. A Powerpod device could have potential for that.

Potential for what?

I agree, the iPod will never be anything more than an music player. I see a PowerPod to be a music device and more. Why not? This is all speculation anyway! However I do think there is a market for a suped-up iPod.

The thing i like about the ipod is its size. If you go adding too much stuff, it would get too overgrown and bloated. I guess it would really become a totally different product.

The thing i like about the ipod is its size. If you go adding too much stuff, it would get too overgrown and bloated. I guess it would really become a totally different product.

I am not an "advocate" for a PowerPod but I would not want to stifle the idea.

I would buy a 12" PB before a PowerPod. The only thing I can see a PowerPod doing without becoming a full laptop is video, music, PDA+, and storage. The problem there is that we would have to be able to "rip" DVDs. Cool yes. Possible, not really.

Yeah that's what I mean, you can't really do the video side to the full extent. And having an optical drive on it would be out of the question. I don't want to stifle the idea of a powerpod, but I do want to keep it small.

Just adding recording capabilities and an FM-tuner to a next version or a pro version wouldn't take too much space (the physical variety, I mean) and would certainly make the thing even more useful than it already is.

I would also love a FM-function for listening to Studio Brussels like Aaike.
I don't think that video is a good idea for such a small screen. A decent recording option would be nice too.
Now I have to use my MD to record, an iPod (in the future) for MP3's and a radio-walkman for radio..

How about a video in/out? Or at least an out. It would be cool to be able to play Quicktime movies right from it through a projector.

Another high-end option would be to find a way to make able to act as a poor man's DV capture disk. There are options now for dedicated hard disk video capture as an in-between for DV cameras. It would be cool (and technically doable) for the iPod to connect via firewire to a DV camera and syphon the capture as its happening.

Built in FM tuner would be nice as well as a built in FM transmitter (for car stereo connection).

Can't complain though, still a great device. One of the pure coolest devices I've ever owned.

Back