PPC 970!? What are these guys doing?!

I think they're assuming, and you know what happens when they assume...

It is kinda a cool idea yet, and less expensive than I'd think by reading the description and looking at the pictures.

I wonder if it actually works.

Well, now your G4 (or PPC 970) Powerbook can run just as cool as it looks.
They wish they had a 970-powered Powerbook. They should say PPC 7450, right?

Hee. Quite a good marketing ploy though, playing on the buzz just now. Its quite cool actually, and cheap, just need a PowerBook to go with it :)

Originally posted by lnoelstorr
Feel free to mock me intensely if I'm wrong. However I think it's just 970 or PPC970, but certainly not G970.
I won't be mocking you as I happen to agree with you. I think there's not the slightest chance that this machine will be marketed as the "G970". It is possible that it will be called the G5 (though I certainly hope not), or more likely the Power Mac 970, but certainly not the G970.

Didn't hulkaros say that he started using G970 because no one knows what its going to be called? :)

If Apple can shoehorn a new processor into a box on Monday such as a 970, I would guess they would call it the G5 or G4. The reason is that they have very successfully stopped referring to processors much like Intel has quit referring to processors to a lesser extent. As an example, why get people wondering what the difference between the PPC 7455 or the PPC 755 or the Funkamatic Geoplitch 9022Av4?

It's much easier to refer to them as the G4 800 MHz, G3 800 MHz or the G5 1.2 Ghz. It eliminates confusion for the non-geek and they are the targeted buyers of computers these days.

You know exactly what kind of computer you have with the G label for the processors (to an extent). You're not sure if it's the PPC 7450 or the 7455, or the 750, but do you really care?

Back