PPC iBook now or later?

Taking so much time for converting an application. It sounds strange. It's not that they have to port the application like when they had to port from OS 9 to OS X. That meant a different operating system with an entirely different architecture. Taking a long time to port an application to an entrely different operating system is completely understandable. But now they aren't porting, they are only re-compiling/re-building the appliction. OS X remains the same whether there is a PPC or an Intel processor under the bonnet. I don't get it. I think Apple has all the tools required to do the rebuild.

Then let's clear this up again for you.

Adobe probably used Codewarrior to bring Photoshop (and their other apps) to Carbon. So even Adobe CS2 is still a Codewarrior project. In order to create a Universal Binary, they have to use Xcode by Apple, not Codewarrior. That's - compared to carbonising - a seriously large step. Nothing like "clicking an intel button" or something.

fryke said:
...In order to create a Universal Binary, they have to use Xcode by Apple, not Codewarrior. That's - compared to carbonising - a seriously large step. Nothing like "clicking an intel button" or something.

Interesting. If I may play devil's advocate for a moment:

Do you think it is plausible that some companies that currently have Windows and Mac versions, will just put their hands up and say "it's all too hard" and just stop developing Mac versions?

Obviously companies such as Adobe wouldn't do that, but the smaller companies, or companies with lesser-popular apps (especially those that are already Windows-focused).

For example, I'm thinking Corel. Its Corel Draw suite is not very popular on the Mac, and they haven't been very supportive of their Mac version thus far anyway. I'm not sure they'll bother with it anymore.

(note: I'm not basing that on any research or personal experience, so don't flame me if what I said was absurd!)

From Corel's site:

Can I purchase a Macintosh® version?
Corel's market data indicates that more than 95 per cent of CorelDRAW customers are using the Windows platform. As a result, we will be releasing CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 12 for Windows only.

------------

Here's a dumb question:

Xcode is for Mac OS only, right? If so, does Adobe have to use Xcode for Mac OS and simultaneously have another code base for PCs? Keeping both of those in sync sounds scary.

And how does a company like Luxology.com use its proprietary Nexus development environment to spit out Mac and PC versions? I know they use Xcode, but I'm confused as to how that integrates with Nexus. Actually, I'm pretty much confused by the whole thing. :|

And what is the "Xcode" in the PC world?

mindbend said:
Corel's market data indicates that more than 95 per cent of CorelDRAW customers are using the Windows platform. As a result, we will be releasing CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 12 for Windows only.

OK, bad example on my part, but the question still stands.

Hi,

I want to make the switch from Win to Mac, and I want to make it in the near future; I must use Microsoft Office, so, my question is: do you think it will take a long time for Microsoft to release an Office for Mac that is compatible with the
new Mactel's? If it takes a long time I must buy a PPC...

Thanks

abcdef said:
Hi,

I want to make the switch from Win to Mac, and I want to make it in the near future; I must use Microsoft Office, so, my question is: do you think it will take a long time for Microsoft to release an Office for Mac that is compatible with the
new Mactel's? If it takes a long time I must buy a PPC...

Thanks

I don't think running MS Office in emulation would cause any problems. They're not power-hungry applications.

Corel no longer make Draw! for mac. a shame really, i preferred many things about Draw!'s drawing method, i'm getting there with illustrator, i could probably draw anything now, but really, i found coreldraw a much simpler, streamlined, obvious approach to vectors. illustrator has much more options though. corel couldn'y really win i suppose.

Shookster: That depends on what you expect them to do. Massive macro-programming through Excel and Word can be quite computing-intensive, and you don't want those processes to take hours instead of minutes. But I, too, would say that an intel native MS Office is not the first priority as long as it runs _fine_ in Rosetta. (Which has yet to be demonstrated fully. We've seen Word 'running'. But that's not enough, of course...)

Back