PPoE and OS X

Pascal

Official visitor
I know, I know : there is no "official" software packages that would allow me to use PPPoE (and thus access my ADSL line) on OS X.

I know that there are Linux or Darwin PPPoE softwares floating around. Has anyone tried one of those (most probably with a recompile) ?

Has anyone succeeded in using an ADSL/PPPoE access to the internet with OS X ? Has anyone found an elegant solution or are there only hacks available ?

I am not very fond of the idea of having to buy a hardware router just to use ADSL/PPPoE on OS X...

[Added a P to PPPoE (I had written PPoE, duh !)]

[Edited by Pascal on 11-14-2000 at 06:39 AM]

I wouldn't purchase the router just yet either. We have a HW Router with a built in DHCP server and while it serves up and I.P. & Router address to the Mac OS X PB machine, the mac still will not get online.

Best of luck.

B.

I got my DSL to work by following the instructions on this website: http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/
Once the fix is applied, does it work automatically on start up ? In other words, must one go each time in the terminal window to set up ADSL after each restart in X or is it a "one time set up forget it afterwards" setting ?

MY ADSL provider (or maybe is it the software that was provided to me for OS 9), has the bad habit of droping the line when the ADSL has not been used for a certain time. I don't know if other providers do that, but if they do, what is this PPoE software's reaction to this situation : auto-detect and auto-reconnect (my wish) or wait for a human hand ?

If you look at the web site you will see:
============================
For future sessions, after rebooting:

Open a terminal window

su to root.

at the prompt enter: /usr/sbin/adsl-start
at the prompt enter: /usr/sbin/adsl-status

you see something like
[localhost:/Users/davidaug/PPPoE] root# /usr/sbin/adsl-status adsl-status: Link is up and running on interface ppp0 ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy netmask 0xffffff00

at the prompt enter: route add default yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

You're on the 'net. Keep the terminal window open (you can minimize, if you like).

To end the session (and remember you must reboot if you want to get online again).
at the prompt enter: /usr/sbin/adsl-stop

Tips:

You may discover that the yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy IP Number in the status output remains constant.

You can use the up and down arrow keys while in the terminal to cycle through previous command entries.
========================
So, I would assume that you have to start it and (depending on whether the default gateway changes) add the gateway from a terminal window. I would also assume, that you must reboot before reconnecting after being dropped.

That´s an easy one. You will find the terminal window icon either in your dock or go to your applications folder. In there you will find the utilities folder containing the terminal window. That´s it.

And to all the guys who postet in here. My DSL-Connection is now up and running. Thank you very much for your support. I would be kind of isolated without it. Thanx.

Later,
Roman

Back