PPP freezing/56k problems

liquidstrife

Raver and Programmer
Apple tech support made me do everything. I even reinstalled OS X. So now I depend on you to help me. This doesnt happen with ethernet at all and doesnt happen in OS 9. When I connect to the net through internet connect in OS X, I never get above 26.4 which sucks, but thats not the problem. Eventually after 30 min or so, itll make my mouse become slow and then the spinny color wheel comes up and i cant force quit or anything. I have to do a hard reboot. Then when i go to reconnect to the net, it freezes up sooner, like in 3 min. Then the next time its almost instantaneous and it remains that way until i give up for the night. I read somewhere a long time ago about a kext file that would fix it, but it was on a guy's iTools account and apparently iTools like doesnt work period. Anyways, can anyone help? It's very hard at this point for me!

You'll have to wait till tomorrow!:) :p :(

I'm on the road right now. I will tell you if I put it on my iDisk!;)

I am so grateful that you linked me to the kext file! The problem is, I dont know what to do with it? Where do i put it? It has a folder with some additional stuff too.

log in as root and put it in you '/System/Library/Extensions" folder, i think that should do it.
i had instructions but i cant find them at the moment

The nightmare is over. Even after apple tech support could not help me, an unsupported BBS with an unsupported .kext file fixed my PPP lag nightmare. This website is truly a blessingn and has saved me $1800. Thank you so much. It means a ton.

I installed the .kext, rebooted, tried to connect and nothing happened. Checked my active network ports in network settings and Internal Modem was grayed out. Anyone else having this problem?

Originally posted by ByerlyRips
I installed the .kext, rebooted, tried to connect and nothing happened. Checked my active network ports in network settings and Internal Modem was grayed out. Anyone else having this problem?

You have to put it into the extensions folder!

Do not "Copy-Paste" it! :eek:

did you "sudo chown -R root:wheel" the AppleSCCSerial.kext ?

I have no idea what this means. Here's what I did:

Rather than login as root to install the .kext, I simply booted into classic. Dragged out the old AppleSCCSerial.kext and put in the new one. Rebooted into X, tried to connect and nothing happened. I assume there's more to installing the .kext than just putting it in the extensions folder?

ByerlyRips try this..
open the terminal app (in the utilities folder)
type cd /System/Library/Extensions
hit (or gently press) return
then type sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleSCCSerial.kext
hit (or gently press) return again.
enter you password (it will look like nothing is being typed )
hit (or gently press) one last time.
hopefully this should fix your problem.....

Hmmm... I really feel stupid. Should I be doing this: "sudo chown -R root:wheel" the AppleSCCSerial.kext with the old or the new .kext in the extensions folder? Thanks for helping a non-UNIX Mac user.

Back