PPP problems with OS X on Wallstreet

shahn

Registered
Hi all,

I've been using OS X.1 (and .1.1) for a while now but I still can't get my Wallstreet G3's internal modem to connect.

I have a Wallstreet G3 upgraded using a Bluechip 466/1 MB with an upgraded 18 GB HD and 256 MB RAM.

I have never been able to connect to anything using my internal modem. The connection software just gives me an internal modem error.

Does anyone have a Wallstreet who has been successful in connecting with the internal modem?

Thanks

this article helped me out with the same problem on my wallstreet, I hope it works for you:)
Applecare Knowledge Base Article ID: 106447

I'm using a wallstreet 300 upgraded to 466. I can get a PPP connection, but can't do anything with it. That is, using OSX Internet connect tool, I get a terminal session with my PPP server, and after signing in, the Internet Connect tool thinks everything's all right. However, none of my TCP/IP-related applications (tried with several web browsers and MS Outlook) realize there's a PPP connection available. I have set up the PPP options in the Network system preference with all boxes unchecked except for the modem, which should work.

Maybe there is a UNIX port problem - the applications may be looking for their connection on one port, and the PPP connection is actually on another port. I don't know enough to fix the problem.

I have a wallstreet 266 with 512Meg ram and 20 gig hardrive. I have OSX10.1 and 9.2 running. The internal modem works with both.

On OSX10.1 the sound does not work. I have it clicked in the GUI but you never hear the phone dial, It works under 9.2. I get connected over the phone line but do not have any indication of that unitl the terminal window pops up. I then login with my usrid and passwd and then type ppp. I am able to telnet and ftp from the terminal window and of course use IE. When I try to use iTunes I always get disconnected.

Another problem I have with OSX10.1 and the internal modem is that left alone it will continue to dial the phone even when I do not want it to. I have it set not do dial if it does not detect a dial tone and it still dials. If I click disconnect it will stop and dial again. The only fix I have found for this to switch from modem to internet.

Just an added not. The PCMIA does work under 10.1. My firewire2go card works better under 9.2 than 8.6. I have been able use iMovie2. Before I went to 9.2 added the RAM and put in the 20Gig drive I could not use iMovie2 on my wallstreet.

All works fine in 9.2

CallieX

I think there are lots of us with Powerbook modem problems - I've seen many in lurking around these discussion forums. I've posted info about the problem on Apple's discussion site, but of course they do not reply. Wish I knew how to get their attention, or anyone's who have the knowledge to help us fix these problems. I had hoped 10.1 would help, but my problem remains, and is the main thing keeping me from being enthusiastic about OS X. I feel like I'm participating in a beta test, rather than using a solid OS.

Well,

I take some solace in knowing that mine is not a unique situation. Does anyone know of a powerbook/wallstreet specific site for OSX that we can turn to in the future?

Back