preamp for vinyl copying

daveboy

Registered
my regular hi-fi amp has no line out. how can i copy vinyl from turntable to mac?
Griffin imic i am told is no good without a pre amp, is this true?

should i get griffin powerwave?

I need reasonable quality, and have CD spin doctor for sound clean up, any ideas or experience?

Thanks, Dave

Good references here and here.

You'll get different recommendations on vinyl preamps from audiophiles than you will from computer audio people, so you'll have to make your own decision on what works for you, and what's a reasonable price point.

Your regular Hi-Fi amp doesn't have a jack for headphones? You can use that as a line-out without any problems. (Well, you'll have to choose a decent volume level to get good results, but it *works*, which is more important.) All you'll need is a cable that fits from that jack to your computer's sound input. And software to record, of course.

Hi Daveboy,
Does your Hi Fi amp have a tape loop ? Using the 'Rec' or 'Out' phono sockets from that will give you a proper fixed line level signal - bit risky using the headphone socket as it's a variable level source (and may even not be at proper line level.) and you'll spend ages making recording which are too quiet or TOO LOUD (and probably distorted)

I have an iMic which I've used for putting both cassette and vinyl sources onto my iPod (you don't need a preamp-simple switch on the side selects line or phone and you have to select RIAA equalisation in one of the menus for vinyl recording). It works very well, faithfully recording the hiss, crackles and pops from both formats. I suppose the bottom line is what are you using these recordings for? If you do want an 'audiophile' suggestion, Pro-ject (http://project-audio.com/main.php?list=accessories&cat=accessories&lang=en) make reasonably priced, but very good, phono pre-amps as well as some cracking turntables!

Hope it helps
Rob C

Back