Prebinding addresses for frameworks

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
I don't quite understand how/why to configure prebinding addresses when I'm making a Cocoa framework. All the tutorials I read stress that this should be done, but they don't say how to choose a sensible address or how to avoid address conflicts, or what the consequences of such conflicts might be.

Apple provides a list of valid addresses, but they don't say anything on how to pick one, either. Apple also makes it seem like OS X is so advanced that if anything goes wrong, it won't make a fig of difference, so...why should I prebind at all, then?!

IS there any logical way to pick an address, or should I just pick one at random and go with it? I feel like I must be missing the whole point here, so I hope someone can clue me in.

Prebinding is just something you turn on... and that is it. OS X will do the work itself the first time your framework is loaded by an application that uses it (for each build). Bring up your project's info, and look under Build -> Linking. There is an option called Prebinding that you can check which will turn it on. By default, it is turned on for dynamic libraries and frameworks in XCode 2.0 and later (or even earlier, maybe), but you can check anyways if you are truly paranoid.

If you are building this from the command-line using a makefile, then you can specify the -prebind option in your LD flags for the dylib.

Back