(Preferably) Dell monitor that's as good as apple Cinema display?

coolio2654

Registered
Hey guys, I'm deciding to buy myself a new mac pro coming around Jan-Feb and since mac pro's cost sooo much I'm cutting money on every corner; from buying only on amazon to using magazine coupons. The biggest money waster in my opinion is the 22' Led Cinema display apple sells. It costs around 900$ to buy an apple display which hasn't been updated for 3+ years when new Dell monitors of the same size (with camera installed and quality optional speakers) cost roughly about 400 max? I know apple displays are premium but extra 500 bucks is ridiculous.
Now, I want to find out what Dell monitor (must be 1920x1080 size) best rivals the apple 22' display. I'm talking about ppi, color differentiation, etc. I want to get the best out of my wallet and I'll be saving cause I know Dell displays don't exceed 600$.
I'll really appreciate answers and the fact people actually read through my lengthy question.

Last edited:
I believe it was the Dell Ultrasharps that matched the apple displays - and their 22" are only 1680x1050. For 1920x1200 you'd need the dell 24 which is more expensive.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in buying the best monitor (not based on cost). They usually last far longer than the computer since they don't become outdated nearly as fast and you can probably use it with the next computer.

Consider that if you do buy the Apple monitor at the same time as the computer and get Applecare for the computer the monitor will also be covered.

I'd get the Apple monitor.

I've decided that the Samsung monitors are better than mac monitors in all aspects but there's one I'm worried about; audio. Samsung has bilt-in audio like the mac display but the mac audio speakers use 17 wats per speaker and the samsung uses 2 wats per speaker. Should I be worried about this? I like to have really loud music sometimes and would I like to continue my rock sessions.
So basically, how does the Samsung monitors audio compare to mac display audio?

I've decided that the Samsung monitors are better than mac monitors in all aspects but there's one I'm worried about; audio. Samsung has bilt-in audio like the mac display but the mac audio speakers use 17 wats per speaker and the samsung uses 2 wats per speaker. Should I be worried about this? I like to have really loud music sometimes and would I like to continue my rock sessions.

The fact that a speaker can handle a maximum of 2 Watts per channel instead of 17 doesn't really tell you anything, except that you don't need as powerful an amplifier to run it. It doesn't tell you how loud that speaker can play or how accurate the sound reproduction is for that speaker.

That said, I wouldn't expect any speaker built-in to a monitor to be able to play very loudly and accurately, nor would I expect it to have much in the way of bass.

So basically, how does the Samsung monitors audio compare to mac display audio?

I don't know. I do know that I've never heard speakers built-into a monitor that can hold a candle to even inexpensive external 2.1 speakers. I would go with externals and simply ignore the speakers in the monitor. If you want really good, yet inexpensive 2.1 speakers, check out:

Altec Lansing VS2621
$39
http://is.gd/5vSSB

Ok, now since I'm gonna go after an external speaker, what are your recommendations? 5.1 tru-surround, etc? What brand and such?
And the reason I'm asking you this is because I think you put a lower quality speaker in your last post. I'm looking to save money by just not buying ridiculously overpriced stuff, if it's quality however, I'll pay anything for a good comp speakers :)

Macs don't have sound cards that support true 5.1 speaker systems. You can install such a system, but it will basically be a surround stereo system. Except for the Mac Pro tower models, you can't upgrade the sound card in a Macintosh. There are external devices that claim to allow 5.1 sound with a Mac, but I have no personal experience with them, and they get terrible reviews.

The system that I suggested in my previous post is a very good sounding system for a very low price. However, if you want a better system than that, I'm sure that others here have their favorites that they can recommend (which will undoubtedly be at a higher price.)

Back