premiere quites

bolindilly

John Galt Member
hello all:
quick issue... i have a sony dcr-pc1 and adobe premiere 6.5 for os x. whenever i try and stop importing video (after i've started, of course), premiere force quits... the camcorder is busted in some manner already (it doesn't eject the dv tape in there)... i was wondering if anyone knows how to solve this problem? if no, is it possible for a camcorder to cause the application to force quit? i can't tell if the problem is with adobe or with sony.
i'm getting a gl2 any day now, and i can test that camcorder to see if it's the old camcorder that's the problem...

any help would be <b>great</b>,
bolindilly

hi:
i tried fixing permissions with disk utility, but that didn't help...
any other ideas?

thanks,
bolindilly

The problem is certainly with Premiere. It should handle the cancel gracefully. Report the problem to Adobe and hope they fix it in the next version. Meanwhile, don't do anything that will cause the application to quit. Import your video with iMovie and then import the resulting files into Premiere. (This might require exporting the video from iMovie in QuickTime format, but maybe Premiere can handle raw DV files.)

there's a better alternative that using imovie. there's a shareware program called btv pro x that i found. it imports raw dv video into .mov files, and then you can just import it directly into premiere. it has great quality... also, why do video editors want video to be 720x480 when 640x480 is a 4:3 ratio? 72-x480 is 3:2...
i don't get it...

matt@kopko.com

bolindilly,

My __guess__ about 720x480 is that it's a good fit for NTSC, including the (what do they call that?) overscan or whatever. That is, the part of the image that is on the extreme edges of the viewable image on the tv.

I used to have an Amiga, which was NTSC friendly and often used for video work. It would do unusual resolutions such as 1280x400 plus overscan, ideal for NTSC.

-Doug

Back