Press3 Reviews

RacerX

Old Rhapsody User
In an effort to help improve the Press3 exams, I am posting these reviews by people who have taken them (originally posted by Jadey on 6/7/2002). I have not taken these exams or been part of the program, but I did choose Apple's training program (which is designed quite differently... but then again, their Apple and have Apple's resources).

I think it would be helpful to look at other's experiences and hear what they thought of the Press3 certification program and other programs they may have tried.

ok, i moved it to site news. twyg must have moved it to open letters. but here it is and if you want to discuss it, it apears you can. Better late than never.;)

Why isn't anyone post on this topic in this topic? I would love to work with Macs for a living and would like to hear about press3 and other option (specially the prices of those option... poor person posting here).

Does anyone have some more inform? I'm guessing not racerx because he is "GONE", but some one else maybe?

Apparently Ed moved this thread from some forum (Herve's?) and posted it in Site News. I moved it from Site News (where it didn't belong and was not on topic) to Opinion: Reviews. This thread has never been removed or hidden. It just was moved around my two people.

I think the question is why sin't it being deleted now, when it was before? How has your opinion changed Admin? Even though we can now post this now, I think an explanation is still in order.

Is it just me or is everyone talking about anything else but the topic of this thread?

Are there no other opions beyond Press3 and Apple? and how much do they cost? and how hard are they? and do I need much in the way of equipment (which I can't afford currently)?

Help :(

These were some of the questions I had hoped to address originally. If anyone has taken the exams, please add your thoughts.

The people there were really complaining about the reputation of the Press3 certifications versus Apple's. Apple's of course would have a better reputation, Press3 being a new company. This doesn't make non-Apple certs a scam, just means some employers may not consider you a Mac CSE if you didn't have your certification right from Apple.

He did mention the nature of the questions though. Has anyone taken both? Are Press3's questions vastly different from Apple's?

Trip- that was EXCEEDINGLY eloquent. I'd attempted a few replies, touching on various points of yours, but thank you for saying that.

Calling these a scam is not only unjustly accusative, but it's nearly illegal.

Certifications require some kind of industry standing, and you need to be succesful to have that standing, but to become succesful you need to have a good industry standing. Obviously- this is not an easy market to enter.

However, whenever you're doing anything new and difficult, I'd consider it imperative to listen to criticism and really try to conform to what the market will respond to. Those types of things make for good business.

My question would be whether or not one person has the time or resources to develop exams that are comprehensive enough, were I in the market for these certifications. Since the examinations are so new and relatively untested, what insurance do I have that I'll be pleased with the results? How do these examinations compare with the apple certifications?

What incentive do I have to opt for Press3's certifications when compared to Apple's already well established program, cost aside?

I ask these questions in honest criticism of Press3's policies alone, not as a judgement of their character or intent.

stated by testuser
From what I have read, labeling these certifications as a "scam" is tantamount to libel. There certainly is no scam; there is nothing illegal or dishonest going on. To explicitly state such an accusation is fraud in its own right.

Definitions (from American Heritage Dictionary):
  • libel: A written, printed, or pictorial statement that maliciously damages a person's reputation.
  • fraud: A deliberate deception for unfair or unlawful gain; swindle.

To prove libel in this case you must first prove malice, and the opinions of people not happy with Press3's products would hardly qualify. I would also point out that Admin's own actions in the course of recent events did more damage to Press3's reputation than any of these statements of opinion by these people. I don't believe that the use of the term fraud is accurate either. These people seem to be acting on good faith. Which is not to say that their statements were not emotionally charged, but that does not prove deception. Also they had nothing to gain from their statements.

Other than that, I agree with the rest of testuser's post which actually mirrored the post I originally made in response to Jadey's original thread last Friday (that was later deleted). I thought the suggestion of using free documentation from Apple as the source and training material for the exams was a great idea. As I recall. Apple had a Mac OS X 101 for service techs that was downloadable for anyone as a pdf. It had a number of mistakes, but once corrected, could have been a great resource.

I would also point out that I tried to offer my services to Admin back in January. I have had years of experience with both Macs and the operating systems that lead up to Mac OS X (as most of you know), but this was his response:

Admin (1-2-2002):
As for the Certification program, it is a cheaper alternative, but not necessarily easier. :) One test taker said they had taken Mac OS X classes and passed certification from Apple, but failed ours. Others passed it with flying colors. :)

I'm not sure that he understood what I was offering, and he seem to think I was looking for more certification. Unfortunately, people don't call me based on certification, they call based on recommendations of my other clients. My knowledge and background is far more important is solving problems than any certification I could have in hand.

I think it is also important to note that Admin could have addressed these issues and graciously accepted suggestions. His actions actually did more to call into question the practices of Press3 than any of these statements by people who have taken the test. One can only question his motives for the extreme emotional out bursts on his part and his complete over reaction to Jadey's original post. My personal views of Press3 certification have changed drastically from what they were when I originally posted my response last Friday... and not for the better.

Originally posted by RacerX
In an effort to help improve the Press3 exams, I am posting these reviews by people who have taken them (originally posted by Jadey on 6/7/2002). I have not taken these exams or been part of the program, but I did choose Apple's training program (which is designed quite differently... but then again, their Apple and have Apple's resources).

I think it would be helpful to look at other's experiences and hear what they thought of the Press3 certification program and other programs they may have tried.

Well, RacerX, you may have valid points BUT it's hard to take points from someone who claims to be GONE by the use of their Avatar but are still posting. It's rather hard to take you seriously. You seem like a very confused individual! :rolleyes:

Having worked at a ton of different businesses over the years, I do know this: you usually only hear from the people who don't like your service, and very very very rarely from people who love it! That's just the nature of people. Those are two people's opinions just that!

Again, are you HERE or GONE?:rolleyes:

Mindy... this thread is not a place to make petty comments regarding avatars or grammar. This issue is loaded for a lot of people involved, and I'm not sure that you've a full grasp of the situation or its history.

The negative reviews aside, Press3's website perpetuates our questions. Actual market acceptance of a certification ought to offer more evidence than a handful of quotes.

Also- regardless of the textbook definition of libel, I'm of the opinion that calling a business a scam in a public forum is close enough that I would tread VERY lightly. I've seen lawyers get up in arms over far less, and even my mother served a notice for criticizing a high school teacher. People take their reputations very seriously, and the law can back them up, businesses even more so. There have also been precedents set regarding online forums (comments posted to an AOL discussion board) so, again: TREAD LIGHTLY.

Actually, I have been following the issue quite closely and just because I am not a posting fool around here doesn't mean that I am not fully aware of the issues involved! And, thanks to our good Admin, I'm allowed to have my opinion just like the rest of you!

As for market acceptance of a product, that is something that is built and rarely happens overnight unless you're a Cabbage Patch Doll! Building brand awareness and gaining publicity takes time. I mean, neither Apple nor Microsoft became overnight successes - it took a lot of really hard work, development, trial and error by their founders, etc.

I think someone's comment was interesting:
"I thought the suggestion of using free documentation from Apple as the source and training material for the exams was a great idea. As I recall. Apple had a Mac OS X 101 for service techs that was downloadable for anyone as a pdf. It had a number of mistakes, but once corrected, could have been a great resource."

Yes, using Apple's materials would be virtually the same as Press 3 endorsing Apple's Certifications and not it's own. Besides, if I'm correct, the Admin chose NOT to provide a training course for his exams. His focus was on experience. If you knew the info, he figured you would most likely pass. He didn't set out to provide training materials so that they would become the Cliff Notes of the internet for certifications. That was his choice and he was never silent on the issue if I remember from his documentation on the Press 3 website.

As for accepting suggestions, just because the Admin didn't accept YOUR recommendation/suggestion doesn't mean that he's "thrown the baby out with the bath water" as the saying goes. All good companies and founders gain great information from people's comments - good or bad - and decide based on their own insight and experience, whether to take the comments seriously or not.

That's just my two cents worth for the morning! I hear a lot of comments from people who have strong negative opinions about the Admin, and in the spirit of my previous post, I've chosen to post alternatives to the status quo thinking around here. Thank God we have a messageboard and members that are cool enough to allow various thinking!

:)

Thank for that extremely positive post and your unique perspective. Honestly.

I'd feared we'd get nothing productive from this thread since the only people who appeared interested in talking about it were also the ones who were so jaded because of the whole mess. I admit my initial criticism was presumptuous, but I was frustrated by the overall 'well, you have valid points, but here I'll discredit you for this silly reason' of your first post, which I think you'll have to admit to.

My assumption of your knowledge of the topic was based on that same dismissive tonality of your first post, which led me to think you were, in fact, persecuting Racer only because of his negative stance on the issue. I see that this was not the case, due to your multiple comments regarding the acceptance of differing viewpoints.

Again, thank you for your new take on the situation. It's been a breath of fresh air.

Well, I frequent these and other forums, but have never posted. Why? Cause I don't like getting caught up in everything, especially threads like this that have obviously gone sour.

However, from Mindy's post, I decided to register and jump in. I am Press 3 Certified. I am proud of it. The exams where not easy, and I am glad they weren't. I did manage to pass them all without needing additional retakes.

Press 3's Certification is a fantastic addition to the Mac Certification track. Apple, although has certification, has not been the best on promoting or making them really known. Obviously, Apple is better known, but that doesn't make Press 3's Certification any less, just not as known.

I don't have an issue with the moderators keeping the boards clean. I challenge anyone to go to Apple's forums to post a thread "Bad Press About Apple Certifications" and then proceed to link to various message board posts around the net on people who think Apple's Certifications are a joke. See how long that thread lasts. I saw the original short lived post that Jadey made. It caught my eye because of the head subject title.

It is sad a few spoil sports really who think they are "up and beyond" have to come in and ruin the whole thing. Count your blessings... and RacerX... here again, gone tomorrow... your not really building a very good rep yourself around here.

daYoka

Back