Press3 Reviews

Originally posted by DaYoka
It is sad a few spoil sports really who think they are "up and beyond" have to come in and ruin the whole thing. Count your blessings... and RacerX... here again, gone tomorrow... your not really building a very good rep yourself around here.
Well, OK, fair enough, the whole censorsip / threats episode soured a lot of things, but did you actually see what Admin posted when the site was down the other day?

Talk about reputations... and the typos etc. in this notice didn't help!

Anyway, I think you'll find that having a good / bad reputation amongst a minority at macosx.com doesn't really bother most people, RacerX included ;)

pointed out so graciously by Mindy
You seem like a very confused individual!

That seems fair. Any review of my posting over the last week would lead anyone who visits as infrequently as you (and now me) to believe that. Admin has deleted most of the information on what happened on this site, If you wish more information on the events of last weekend (and I highly doubt that you would want to read at length about them anyway) you could try going to some forums that don't censor posts. I assume you are up on the subject enough to make your comments in good faith, so I shall also assume you can figure out what forums I am talking about.

asked by Mindy in a very excited state:
Again, are you HERE or GONE?

Outside of this thread, I have no reason to post in these forums. This thread is going to die some day (like most threads in most forums) and on that day (unless Admin has apologized to Jadey for the threats) I shall no longer be posting at MacOSX.com. The GONE avatar should no longer confuse you now, but why would I care to take the time to change it. For every other thread, save this one, in MacOSX.com I am gone, seem simple enough to me, but then again, it sounds like you confuse easily.

claimed by Mindy:
Actually, I have been following the issue quite closely and just because I am not a posting fool around here doesn't mean that I am not fully aware of the issues involved! And, thanks to our good Admin, I'm allowed to have my opinion just like the rest of you!

Funny, had you posted your views in a thread like this one last Friday (as I had) your views would have been read by almost no one thanks to our good Admin who quickly deleted the thread (and all threads that later referred to it). Our freedom on this subject has been granted by Admin under duress. If he had his way, you would know nothing of this subject (instead of the painfully small amount you seem to currently).

Mindy missing the importance of the subject on this one
Yes, using Apple's materials would be virtually the same as Press 3 endorsing Apple's Certifications and not it's own.

By the same logic, Press3 exams should not even include Apple products. Think about it Mindy, I would hate to think you are that slow. The suggestions were that there be something more than the you know it or you don't attitude when preparing for the certification. I would not be able to recommend Press3 to Wedge because he gets nothing to prepare him for the work he wants to do from Press3. At least if there was a Press3 suggested reading and reference list, then I would feel that Wedge wasn't throwing good money away on an exam he would fail because he had no way of preparing for it.

These suggestions (originally deleted by Admin) are not why people have hard feelings. It was Admin's actions (specifically the threats and banning of members) and lack of remorse are where the strong negative views of Admin are coming from. In all reality, if Press3 was not Admin, then there would have been less negative views of it by people who have not taken the test. We all expect negative reviews of things (Apple gets them all the time, and it hasn't effected the people who use their products), but when Admin started down an emotional charged path of banning and threats, I think it justifies calling into question what it was that he felt he needed to hide.

Mindy's morning thoughts
That's just my two cents worth for the morning! I hear a lot of comments from people who have strong negative opinions about the Admin, and in the spirit of my previous post, I've chosen to post alternatives to the status quo thinking around here.

Like I said, the negative views of Admin are of his own making. I had nothing but positive feelings for him before last Friday. And as I have also stated, his actions are only forgivable when he is big enough to show true remorse for what he had done (instead of backing down under duress like he did).

Mindy's clearest thought to date
Thank God we have a messageboard and members that are cool enough to allow various thinking!

Yes, I agree. It is just to bad that MacOSX.com is not a messageboard like that.

by an even more infequent member than both Mindy and myself, DaYoka
and RacerX... here again, gone tomorrow... your not really building a very good rep yourself around here.

My reputation on these boards will out live my presents on them. But thank you for your concern. And as Ben pointed out, it is not my reputation that is in question or in any real risk of damage from all this.

Hopefully Admin will take some of this into consideration. Even if he has a problem taking advice from me, testuser's could be considered a good and well meaning source.

Not to be off topic, but is it "Press3" or "Press 3"?

Most of you are calling it "Press3" while Admin/DaYoka is calling it "Press 3". I'm guessing that Admin/DaYoka has it right.

Back to the topic, links to some of this free docs would be helpful. Press 3 seem like a good alternative to the more expensive exams, but I need to prepare and most of the books at the bookstore near me are a little on the pricy side for me right now.

Ya, links would be helpful. Thanx guys.

you can go back to fighting now :eek:

Originally posted by DaYoka
I don't have an issue with the moderators keeping the boards clean. I challenge anyone to go to Apple's forums to post a thread "Bad Press About Apple Certifications" and then proceed to link to various message board posts around the net on people who think Apple's Certifications are a joke. See how long that thread lasts. I saw the original short lived post that Jadey made. It caught my eye because of the head subject title.

It is sad a few spoil sports really who think they are "up and beyond" have to come in and ruin the whole thing.

Well DaYoka, maybe you didn't really read my original thread. I posted I had only read good reviews up to that point, then suddenly I came across these bad ones, did anyone want to rebut? The events that came afterward were a complete surprise to me.

Secondly, as is my understanding, Mindy is the admin's wife. I would be on here too defending my boyfriend, no matter what he'd done, but it would mean my arguments would be subjective.

Congratulations on your new baby, by the way. :)

Originally posted by Mindy
Actually, I have been following the issue quite closely and just because I am not a posting fool around here... Thank God we have a messageboard and members that are cool enough to allow various thinking!
Re your latter point, agreed. But I think you need to address two things:

- It has been suggested you have a link to Admin. If that's the case, you should declare this up-front; failure to do so renders your posts pointlessly subjective
- Don't go round proclaiming the need for -- and joys of -- freedom of thought / opinion, whilst at the same time calling those who disagree with you "posting fools."

BTW, if you are Admin's partner, I echo Jadey's congrats! ;)

it cost me $299 to get the certification study guide from apple. The guide comes on 1 cdrom, and is written in html.

Its utterly stupid too. There are many 404 errors within it. The macosx parts have been added basically as an afterthought.

Apple's solutions aren't allways the best either. For example, they recomend using sherlock to look at invisable files. Why not make them visable, mess with them, and then make them invisable? Stuff like that.

Press3 certification is based off experiance as I understand it. And any experianced macintosh user knows to use Visability or ResEdit to view and edit invisable files. Not *sherlock* :p

Besides, is there any documentation that can make up for lack of experience?

EDIT: Oh, and press3 certification is WAY cheaper than Apple's Apple Care Technician Training. Even if you didn't need the info, you still have to pay to take the test, etc.

Originally posted by benpoole

- It has been suggested you have a link to Admin. If that's the case, you should declare this up-front; failure to do so renders your posts pointlessly subjective
- Don't go round proclaiming the need for -- and joys of -- freedom of thought / opinion, whilst at the same time calling those who disagree with you "posting fools."

BTW, if you are Admin's partner, I echo Jadey's congrats! ;)

1) It doesn't make her posts 'pointlessly subjective'. It simply puts them into a different perspective. Certainly not pointless in any way. If I was married (not untill I'm 30!!!), and I had a business or something, I would value the opinion of my spouce. And I think my customers would too.

Trust me when I say this, not every spouce has completely kind words to say about their partner.

2) Mindy's point about RacerX's avitar is completely relevant - In a discussion about scams and whatnot, questioning credibility is going to come up, and for good reasons.

stated by kilowatt
it cost me $299 to get the certification study guide from apple. The guide comes on 1 cdrom, and is written in html.

I think you need to ask for your money back if you were that unhappy with the product. The guide, which does come on one CD-ROM and is written in HTML, is trivial for someone experienced with Macintoshes in general. The other 7 CD-ROMs more than made up for the first for me.

An example of their value (again, for me) came up when I was asked by a client to repair a PowerBook 3400c/240. I've never owned a 3400, I had never taken a part a 3400, and without the product manual (in PDF form on the second CD-ROM) I would have had some problems taking a part and locating the problem with that system. Within an hour I had a completely dead PowerBook up and running again.

kilowatt displaying his famous temperament
Its utterly stupid too. There are many 404 errors within it. The macosx parts have been added basically as an afterthought.

If you had gotten your copy before Apple retired the TIL, yes, you most assuredly got a ton of 404 errors... or if you try doing thinks while not connected to the internet. And it didn't cover much of System 6 or 7, or A/UX, or Mac OS X Server 1.x, or AppleShare IP 5.x and 6.x as I recall. All subjects that I find to be very important on a daily bases. The program (like Press3's) is designed to show a minimum competence in the materials. The difference is that Apple supplies you with the materials and Press3 doesn't.

I am not suggesting that Press3 provide those materials (which would increase the cost), just that they provide at least some direction on where they can be found. Also most certification programs help to make you competent in the information covered. It sounds more and more like Press3 is only a test for those who know what is already on it. And to find that out you must pay the initial fee. This means that this program is for the elite and not someone like Wedge who is starting out.

Apple's solutions aren't allways the best either. For example, they recomend using sherlock to look at invisable files. Why not make them visable, mess with them, and then make them invisable? Stuff like that.

Like I said, Apple's program is trying to bring the average user up to the point of meeting their minimum standards for a service tech. That seems fair enough, and I realized that when I first saw the training CD. Funny how that concept seems to be so far beyond your ability to comprehend it.

Press3 certification is based off experiance as I understand it. And any experianced macintosh user knows to use Visability or ResEdit to view and edit invisable files. Not *sherlock*

Which is why it is not the best choice for someone who is looking to get started. If they want to make it such a choice, then they should help them learn what they need to know. Even the average experienced user doesn't have complete experience with all of Apple's products that they should to honestly do tech support.

Besides, is there any documentation that can make up for lack of experience?

Yes. even after more than ten years experience, I know that I have not seen or worked with every Apple product I may come across. The PowerBook 3400 was a good example were documentation off set my lack of experience with that product. If anything I would say that Apple doesn't provide enough documentation (weren't you complaining about that earlier with the Mac OS X part of the training guide?), but they do teach you where to find a lot of it.

kilowatt weighs in on another subject
1) It doesn't make her posts 'pointlessly subjective'. It simply puts them into a different perspective. Certainly not pointless in any way. If I was married (not untill I'm 30!!!), and I had a business or something, I would value the opinion of my spouce. And I think my customers would too.

Trust me when I say this, not every spouce has completely kind words to say about their partner.

With an attitude like that last statement, I would guess not even when you are 30. :D

Mindy presented herself as an average member in her statements, and not as someone with as much of a vested interest in Press3 as Admin. That does render her we statements questionable at best. And her statements of having read the documentation of Press3's site in passing deceptive at the least. Both of which hurt the credibility of both her and Admin, and Press3. As Admin's wife she should have represented herself as an agent of the Press3 organization in stead of the hapless bystander.

And of course she is not going to find Admin to be an evil guy, and would do anything to support him publicly. Though in the context of this thread I find her statements disappointing... I would also judge her to be a loving and devoted wife.

2) Mindy's point about RacerX's avitar is completely relevant - In a discussion about scams and whatnot, questioning credibility is going to come up, and for good reasons.

And so it should. This is, in the end, a question about the credibility of the people involved. And lets look at some of them a little closer for kilowatt's benefit, shall we.

• RacerX (me :D ): I have through out this made no false or misleading statements. I have ask the questions that I honestly have and am waiting responses. I do not work for Apple Computer, I do not work for Press3 (if you haven't guessed already), and I do not work for a Press3 competitor. My personal involvement in this started with Admin deleting my posts on the subject. My continued thorn in Admin's side status is based on actions he took against friends of mine (acts against my friends I shall always take personally). The fact that I continue to make constructive suggestions is based on the spirit of the original deleted thread by Jadey and my original post there (actually, I couldn't care less if Press3 fails at this point or not).

Jadey: Jadey's original thread was actually designed to rally support for Press3 and to make helpful suggestions that would answer the questions raised by the critics. Admin deleted her thread. Admin deleted her thread asking what happened to the first thread. Admin deleted the thread questioning censorship of topics on these boards. Admin threaten her.

Admin: As pointed out, Admin did a lot of deleting, but the reasons he has given (I suggest that they may sound strangely like this quote: I challenge anyone to go to Apple's forums to post a thread "Bad Press About Apple Certifications" and then proceed to link to various message board posts around the net on people who think Apple's Certifications are a joke. See how long that thread lasts.) are not actually good ones for an open forum as he had presented MacOSX.com to be. It should be noted that Press3 was using MacOSX.com member's for technical support. Admin also threaten Jadey, banned at least Sithious (if not others) and started a draconian censorship program that was only ended under duress. My questions have always been why the emotionally charge actions needed to take place in the first place. Because nothing that had happen up to the point of Admin deleting Jadey's first thread could have provided reason to the actions taken by Admin, therefore there must be some other aspect of Press3 that Admin feels the need to hide. (note: Apple's boards are by definition not an open public forum, and are for discussing support issues only)

Mindy: Admins loving wife, and more than an innocent bystander. If their relationship is as strong as mine is with my wife, I would take her feelings as being both her's and Admin's (I would hope they would have a united front). That would also explain the strong negative feeling from her (when we had never had any other encounters before this).

Sithious: Always one to defend a friend in need and to stand up for what he believes in... no matter what the cost.

Kilowatt: Comic relief.
That should put most of our respective credibilities into some perspective (avatars aside).

Not to throw a cloud of mistrust on kilowatt, but it should be pointed out that he has a close relationship to Admin (as he was one of the only people PMed by Admin when Mindy gave birth). Relationships like these should be up front in order to put all points of view into their proper perspectives.

kilowatt and RacerX, thanks both for you comments on the two different certifications. They've been most helpful. :)

Originally posted by kilowatt
The word is "spouse" -- I should know, I've had one for sometime. So I know of what I speak with regards marriage ;) As for the usefulness of Minday's comments, of course her relationship to Admin has a bearing on all of this! As would yours or mine! Don't be so naive.

Uh yeah, thanks. See above. See also dictionary / "patronising"...

Now you're just contradicting yourself... I was of much the same opinion re avatars until I found out what was really going on. Now, you start in about questionable credibility given what we know about you and Mindy...

Well, thanks for the laughs!

Now, moving back to the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, I have no experience of either Apple or Press 3 with regards certification. I have experience of other organisations, and their moves in this area.

It's a thorny one, because ultimately much of it based upon reputation / perception. If someone says they're Apple / Microsoft / Lotus / Novell certified, and are going for jobs in those areas, then I would hazard that most empoyers would go for those certifications (regardless of actual quality) because of the names associated with them.

So where does that leave an organisation like Press 3? Certainly they have more of a climb up that hill. They need to build the reputation to back up the certification they offer, regardless of the quality of the material / questions they offer. And so far, all I've heard in public forums is a few people dissing them. How many have taken the certifications? What about getting some positive experiences voiced out there?

Originally posted by RacerX

I think you need to ask for your money back if you were that unhappy with the product. The guide, which does come on one CD-ROM and is written in HTML, is trivial for someone experienced with Macintoshes in general. The other 7 CD-ROMs more than made up for the first for me.

An example of their value (again, for me) came up when I was asked by a client to repair a PowerBook 3400c/240. I've never owned a 3400, I had never taken a part a 3400, and without the product manual (in PDF form on the second CD-ROM) I would have had some problems taking a part and locating the problem with that system. Within an hour I had a completely dead PowerBook up and running again.

Actually though, more than documentation was required for that. You had to know what you were doing. Uninformed people may know how to take apart a laptop, but what if they had never used a hex key before? Or if they spill something inside it? There are lots of things that simply cannot be learned solely through a pdf file.

If you had gotten your copy before Apple retired the TIL, yes, you most assuredly got a ton of 404 errors... or if you try doing thinks while not connected to the internet.
Actually, the 404 errors were for files on the cd. A simple check with wget could have shown this (shame on you apple! check your html nex time)
And it didn't cover much of System 6 or 7, or A/UX, or Mac OS X Server 1.x, or AppleShare IP 5.x and 6.x as I recall. All subjects that I find to be very important on a daily bases.
While their usefullness can be debated, apple has limited support in these areas. AppleCare Technician Training for Desktops doesn't need to cover A/UX.
The program (like Press3's) is designed to show a minimum competence in the materials. The difference is that Apple supplies you with the materials and Press3 doesn't.
I guess we're just going to disagree on this. As I see it, although press3 can guide one to, say read this or that, experience in the fleid simply can't be a 'cram and jam' test.

I am not suggesting that Press3 provide those materials (which would increase the cost), just that they provide at least some direction on where they can be found. Also most certification programs help to make you competent in the information covered. It sounds more and more like Press3 is only a test for those who know what is already on it.
You're sort of got it. Its for experienced people. People who have been in the field.
Not for newbies, imo
And to find that out you must pay the initial fee. This means that this program is for the elite and not someone like Wedge who is starting out.
I had to pay the initial fee for the AppleCare Technician Training. Apple wasn't like 'umm, here is whats on the exam'
Like I said, Apple's program is trying to bring the average user up to the point of meeting their minimum standards for a service tech. That seems fair enough, and I realized that when I first saw the training CD. Funny how that concept seems to be so far beyond your ability to comprehend it.
Ok, now that was just low. I completely comprehend what applecare technician training is for. But you did tick me off, if that was your goal :)

Which is why it is not the best choice for someone who is looking to get started. If they want to make it such a choice, then they should help them learn what they need to know. Even the average experienced user doesn't have complete experience with all of Apple's products that they should to honestly do tech support.
Let me quote from press3.com:
"Press 3 Certifications focus on experience based questions - questions that can't be answered through downloading a study guide or cramming for an exam. Our exams are passed by those with hands-on experience in their given area of expertise. "

Yes. even after more than ten years experience, I know that I have not seen or worked with every Apple product I may come across. The PowerBook 3400 was a good example were documentation off set my lack of experience with that product. If anything I would say that Apple doesn't provide enough documentation (weren't you complaining about that earlier with the Mac OS X part of the training guide?), but they do teach you where to find a lot of it.
Still, your experience is what allowed you to fix the powerbook by reading the documentation. If you had never worked on computer hardware before, simply reading the documentation and going at it would have been a mistake.

With an attitude like that last statement, I would guess not even when you are 30. :D

LOL! Hey, maybe! I've had my share in this area, and at the moment, have had enough "women trouble" for now! (no offence to the female readers here - I know yall have your man-troubles as well)

Mindy presented herself as an average member in her statements, and not as someone with as much of a vested interest in Press3 as Admin. That does render her we statements questionable at best.

I'll give you a half point there - sure, she's a bit biased, although I can't see it. Consider this though, as admin's wife, might she have a closer perspective? I imagine so. I value her opinion as much, if not more, than I value yours. RacerX, have you taken the press3 tests?

And her statements of having read the documentation of Press3's site in passing deceptive at the least. Both of which hurt the credibility of both her and Admin, and Press3. As Admin's wife she should have represented herself as an agent of the Press3 organization in stead of the hapless bystander.
wow now, we're geeks, not lawyers here :p
She probably figured you guys knew that - just look at your post counts!
And of course she is not going to find Admin to be an evil guy, and would do anything to support him publicly. Though in the context of this thread I find her statements disappointing... I would also judge her to be a loving and devoted wife.
"evil guy" ? heh I find things far from that. Evil people don't spend time and money developing a free tech support site. But thats for another thread.

And so it should. This is, in the end, a question about the credibility of the people involved. And lets look at some of them a little closer for kilowatt's benefit, shall we.

Umm, how about not. I don't know where you got all that from, but its off topic, and imo, in poor taste.

Jadey, btw, you are welcome for my opinions on press3 and apple care technical training. Ask any time :)

this message is to RacerX and only RacerX:

First off you say your gone. Okay fair enough everyone has their own opinions thoughts etc, whatever. Then you return to post a topic thats a sensitive issue which is okay things need to be talked about. Its the way you bring them up and mention them. The truth whatever it may be, is entirely irrelevant in this post. This post is totally about you racerx. Please read on!

here is where my problem with you comes in: Your supposed to be a mature adult by your age. a lot of the members here are teenagers or young adults and I can understand them posting and acting like you have. But you, you are old enough to be mature about things like this. I don't know but i think you have some severe mental issues going on in your head to be talking about admin or his wife in anything other than a respectful way in public. I know for a fact how much work goes on around here and a few others do as well. You act like a 13 year old who has had his toy taken away! You need to act your age.

As for you leaving, I will open the door for you to get the heck out. A forum like this does not need a 30 year old mentally handicapped moron like you around. As kilowatt stated the press 3 exams are designed for people who have had years of experience in the field and know the stuff they need already but need proof on paper. I guess someone like you would need some help to understand that.

Your next argument is going to be: "well you are a newb here, I don't see you post a lot,etc, etc" Let me tell you something, I have been reading these forums for a long time, I remember when the site first opened, I left shortly after only to return late last year. I am reading posts all the time and just because I don't have a 2000 1 line useless posts like you doesn't mean I don't have a valid point, it just means I know when to keep my mouth shut and when to open it.

You say in your opening post you are trying to improve press 3's exams. Let me ask you this, have you taken them or even seen a sample of them? Because if not them you have no idea on how much improvement they need or anything about them in which case its time to shut your pie hole.

Racerx I have no idea how you did it but you put me in a very upset state. I haven't been this upset in a long time, you disrespecting mindy is what did it. I thought someone at your age would learn to respect women, especially mindy as she has just had a child. I hope one day that you learn to have a life as sitting on a message board for 8 hours a day stirring up strife is just retarded. You are a disgrace to everyone on macosx.com and I hope you never come back the way you are. Please call someone and get some help.

Mindy you are an inspiration to me to have to deal with some a-hole comments the way you have. Congrats. on your child.

May all be in peace

~Yoshi

BTW Racer if I catch you on IRC you are dead.

this message again is for racerx and only racerx.

Racerx amazingly after all the typing I did in the last post I am still upset at you and I am going to shred you up piece by piece this time to relieve all the pent up anger you have caused inside of me.

What I still don't understand is you coming back to post this thread. With all that happened while I was gone I would have thought you would have been long gone or banned or something but due to Admins naturally full of grace nature I can see you are still here spreading hatred.

Your stating a helpful cause of this thread was merely a cover for you to post something you know you should talk about in private with Admin. While I agree the subject should be talked about it shouldn't be talked about in a way thats negative or positve. All Jadey needed was some personal experiences, not a freakin 2 page post of why press 3 is illegal or whatever you said.

In short you are a snivling little judas and You are truely a cancer to this community and to everyone in it. I sincerely hope you get on irc because I have some comments for you that aren't appropriate for a public setting. I also want you to notice that you need to excersize control over your emotions when typing. its something you aquire with age although in your case I think you were dropped on your head.

~Yoshi

Kilowatt, I take it all back.... Yoshi must be the comic relief! Thank you so much Yoshi, that has to be the best adolescent babbling that I have seen on these boards in over a year (if not longer). I truly hope that your high school doesn't graduate you while you are at your current reading comprehension level. It would be a disservice to you.

Small suggestion here Yoshi, reread your entertaining posts again, then actually read this thread (for the first time), then try and back up any of your statements with actual quotes by me. The funny thing is that I have only stated the facts of the events as they have occurred.

said by Yoshi while foaming at the mouth
I also want you to notice that you need to excersize control over your emotions when typing.

Really? You don't say. Funny thing about it is that anyone reading this is going to see your comments as being unbalanced and out of control emotionally... not mine. :D My most emotionally charged statement in this thread: actually, I couldn't care less if Press3 fails at this point or not.

If you really want to help Scott and Mindy, disappear from this thread. I can't tell you how embarrassed I feel for them right now thanks to your post. All I can say is thank you for not taking my side in this.

And thanks again for the laughs Yoshi. :D

Racerx, if anything, I find your posts comical. Although, to be honest, there isn't much comical about them.

I think you know you have lost. And you're not going to put me against yoshi by saying he's the comic relief now.

Racerx, yoshi is right (I read it even though it was only to you - sorry yoshi). You are a disgrace to this place.

I hate to make such personal comments, but it really annoys me. This slanderous posting about press3 hurts me. And it hurts many others here.

While I will miss your firey political debates, and large knowledge of legacy apple hardware and software, I will not miss your utter disrespect for others.

kilowatt, talking about the lighter side of things
Racerx, if anything, I find your posts comical.

Good, I’m being good humored about this, so should you.

I think you know you have lost. And you're not going to put me against yoshi by saying he's the comic relief now.

I don’t know what relationship you and David have, but it really isn’t much of my concern. And you can't lose by sticking with the truth. I've made a home else where, I just hate to back down from a fight (specially against people who can't even tell what it is they are fighting for).

Racerx, yoshi is right (I read it even though it was only to you - sorry yoshi). You are a discrase to this place.

In what way? Not that I care, but people shouldn’t just post something to post it. Show how anything I’ve done has been disgraceful? The personal attacks was started by others first (like yourself, and Mindy) first... I simply responded.

I hate to make such personal coments, but it really annoys me. This slanderous posting about press3 hurts me. And it hurts many others here.

Sorry, I’m something of a definition person here. Please show and detail any slanderous statements I have made in this (or any thread) about Press3.

While I will miss your firey political debates, and large knowledge of legacy apple hardware and software, I will not miss your utter disrespect for others.

You and Mindy jumped into this thread with chips on your collective shoulders. Though I disagreed with things said by testuser, he said nothing personal, so I had nothing personal to respond with. Think about it and reread your posts. I think if you take an honest look you’ll see that I only responded... in greater force.

To everyone,

We are all saying things on the record here. If you really can't back up what you are saying, please don't post it. I promiss you I'll use everything you post here against you if you give me the chance. Lets all stick to the facts, that way I can't keep pounding you guys with your little white lies.

well, i really was going to sit this one out, but..

yoshi ...not only have you broken site policy in directly attacking another site member by calling them names, you sadly make RacerX's last post very true, only i really didn't find it funny.

I will cite that RacerX never said anything defamatory about Mindy. he merely called into question her objectivity. Frankly, any good social scientist would have done the same.

On the other hand, you need to all CHILL OUT!! This thread is starting to get along way from the topic of debate. It is becoming a set of personal attacks, most slyly hidden in 3rd party descriptions or directed at people's actions rather than their beings. Almost everyone here but JADEY is guilty of it.

at this point i wish i had left this thread in the rumors forum. cause then i could edit and censor and delete all sorts of stuff that has no business here - starting with yoshi's posts and working backwards.

Look - there are no good guys and bad guys here. there are a bunch of humans involved in online life. some of them have made some mistakes recently. If you never made one, then stand on my shoulders and tell the world now. but still, the people involved in this mistake are not the topic of this thread. If you want to talk about each other, go to herve's forum and let's talk about human behaviour. If none of you have ever buckled under stress like Scott did recently, then you've got some life left to live. and to those of you who think that any questioning of Scott's behaviour is the same as declaring war, i suggest you get involved in some good group therapy sessions. Problems don't resolve themselves by friends defending friends until the two friends that started it all aren't even the point any more.

See, i know most everyone here, some better than others. There's not a 'bad' person in the crowd. and there aren't any "morons". But there are getting to be some good people who are getting emotionally wrapped up in what should be a meaningful discussion.

Ok - Scott did something he shouldn't have. He admitted he was wrong after public actions and voices (remember he read all those posts he censored and who they were from) gave him insight into his mistake. Duress or not, he saw the error in his ways and admitteed as much publicly. and many people here had no idea about what happened until he did. does he owe Jadey an apology? probably so. mostly for mistrusting someone who has been so loyal for so long. I am sure that under less stress, he might have thought more about that aspect. will he apologize?? i don't know, but it really isn't my business. It's his and Jadey's at this point. Because i think there are those of you have made it clear that this is what you expect. this is one of those things you aren't going to just will into existence.

so go back to debating the issue - can press3 overcome neg. reviews and if so, how? At this point is it worth it? but leave the personal attacks and scorecards of the players out of it. too many good people getting all worked up over a real human mistake - probably fueled by a mixture of real human emotions - anger and fear. While Scott agreed to take the week off, everybody else has been driving their own stress levels up to where his was to start with.

Let me tell you - it isn't good for you, it isn't good for your relationships and it isn't going to help Scott calm down and discuss this with you rationally at some point.

and this part is for yoshi and yoshi only - i am ashamed to call myself moderator if you are my peer. Your words are the very thing i seek to moderate. I'm not sure it would do any good to report you, but i think you have set a very poor example for those you claim to be protecting. and the worst part - you ask RacerX to irc, your 'forum' of moderation so that you can treat him the way you are supposed to be in charge of keeping others from doing. This reflect poorly on the site, on the chat room and mostly so on you.

(and kilowatt my friend, you didn't do yourself any favors by jumping on yoshi's bandwagon:( . )

my biggest conclusion from all this - nobody is right. and almost everybody has said something wrong. and that probably now includes me.

Gosh guys, I leave for a day or two.

Ed, you're my hero.

Everyone needs to take stock of their respective emotions, cut their losses, and try to move on. The issue is simply too charged and heated for it to be debated much further by those currently involved without it becoming personal.

The person who can add to this topic is taking a well deserved break, and I hope it's the farthest thing from his mind, because children are wonderful things, albeit stressful.

Killowatt and Yoshi- the base word of moderator is moderate. Keep that in mind from now on.

Wow this thread has gotten out of control, I think everyone does need to calm down. I aggree, the only person who hasn't done something wrong is Jadey, which is quite ironic given the situation. We have to stop attacking each other and trying to pick holes in each others posts as a reply. Both sides are guilty of 'personal attacks' although some by yoshi may have been more apparent I think calling someone 'comic relief' is also a personal attack, since it is like being told your opinions don't matter.

Anyways, its hard for me to get wrapped up in this since I'm friends with people on both sides. If I start to take a side more then I already have I'm worried I will lose some good friendships that I have built up over time on here and elsewhere.

May I suggest that Mindy pass this message on to admin. I think it would be beneficial if he came out and gave us all an honest, down to earth post about his actions. I think everyone could accept it better if he talked to us in a more direct way, rather then just posting forum policy changes.

Everyone needs to calm down.

Back