Pretty pathetic

It's just ridiculous how much memory the Finder takes up. I mean, does it really take 130 MB to run the computer and the apps? I don't know…

I DO know that if you add more memory to a computer and change NOTHING else in the configuration, Mac OS 9's Finder will take up a larger amount than before. I know OS 9 and earlier had (relatively) bad memory management, but I thought this instance was particularly horrible.

Maybe we classic users should have an "About This Computer" shootout! See who can get the Finder to gobble up the most RAM or something…

My OS 9 Finder usually takes around 60 MB of RAM, and I have 192 MB total installed. I wonder how the old iBooks that shipped with 32 MB standard handled the Finder? Hmmmmm...

-Alex

I don't think that's jus the Finder, see it says "Mac OS" and not "Finder", so I'm thinking it's everything that makes the OS itself taking up that much memory...

Before OSX, mine had a pretty large number too.
That's been a good while ago tho. :D

Hi again Matt,
If you are referring to the Mac OS taking up 129 MB of RAM, it's most likely not the Finder taking up that space but a huge memory leak caused by an extension or control panel (or maybe corrupt System). Are you running any beta/really old/really new/1.0.0 extensions/control panels? Try restarting to see if the leak goes away and checking that window once more after launching all those apps. Either that or use OS X where memory leaks won't bring down the system:).

P.S. Also, unless you really don't like Virtual Memory or do a lot of audio/video where speed is of the utmost importance, it is usually better to leave it on because PPC programs are designed for VM.

Hmm, well, the number is smaller after restarts, and I guess I missed the Mac OS thing… You can see the list of programs in the screenshot… that's actually a pretty good sample of apps I use, but I've also got some weird things running too.

I'd LOVE to go to OS X, but OS X versions of apps aren't in the budget now and Classic mode is just too dang slow to be productive. :(

On a sidenote…
So Snowball, never got your PB fixed? Neither did I. I DID get an ix3D Road Rocket card through eBay to run a projector, but that's probably the last thing I'll spend money on for the good old Wallstreet. We're probably going to get an iBook pretty soon! :D

First of all, you should turn virtual memory on at all times (with the minimum amount of RAM+1M). This will eat up some space on your hd, but it will allow the macos kernel to use a different (and more efficient) method of memory management. Then you should look into your system/extensions and control panels and get rid of the ones you don't need, this will free up serious amounts of ram. On the other hand, if you think that's bad, you should check out the memory management on windoze machines - you hardly ever see free ram there :)

Matt, Yep, you definitely have some extra extensions or control panels that is gobbling up the memory. My OS 9.2 only uses 46.5 MB.

If you need help in deciding which to keep and which to disable, let me know.

Matt,
Unless Photoshop has changed in the last year or so, (I haven't upgraded lately,) Adobe recommends keeping virtual memory OFF while you are running Photoshop. I believe there is a conflict between the memory management schemes of Apple and Adobe.

Lance
:D

About virtual memory...I have done some research of my own and have found that using isn't bad, but it's also unnecessary if you have as much ram as you do in your computer. The default setting is 1MB of Ram when you select that in "Memory" control panel, but you are using slower hard drive space to act as faster Ram. You may also have all your extensions on, half of which you may not need like "Remote Access" for example when you have a Cable/DSL modem...
Cheers!

Yeah, I've heard good and bad things about V Memory… I actually rarely run into RAM problems with my current setup, and even if I had a memory leak somewhere, I restart enough because of PageWrecker™.

On a trivial note, with virtual memory disabled, zipping up and down the Apple menu with the sound set enabled is a lot snappier —_otherwise it's click...click...click. It's not like I care, but it's kind of a fun thing to bring up. :D

MDLarson wrote:
On a sidenote…
So Snowball, never got your PB fixed? Neither did I. I DID get an ix3D Road Rocket card through eBay to run a projector, but that's probably the last thing I'll spend money on for the good old Wallstreet. We're probably going to get an iBook pretty soon! :D [/B]

Sorry for the delay in replying...I sort of forgot about this thread :) <sheepish grin>. Nope, I never fixed it completely but I did take everything apart and somehow managed to put it all back together again. Yup, I agree, I am going to get a new iBook before I spend any more money on this sturdy old WallStreet. I'm wondering though, why did you get an ix3D Road Rocket card for video out if you already have S-Video out and VGA video out?

Originally posted by Snowball
I'm wondering though, why did you get an ix3D Road Rocket card for video out if you already have S-Video out and VGA video out?
Well, I run the slideshow for our church most weeks from my laptop. Max resolution on S-Video I think is 640x480 (I only tried it once). And I could never get video mirroring to work on my regular VGA output (much less dual monitor support), so for $50 I decided to give the RoadRocket a try.

Back