Preventing user from logging in

Kristjan

Different, I think...
Is it possible to remove a user from the login list? I have a ftp-user on my computer, and he will never login that way...

This works for me.

Open NetInfo Manager. from root / select users. the click on the username of the person you are referring to. Click the unlock button to make changes. Under the property column, look for shell. If you haven't changed it , in the value column next to shell, it should read /bin/tcsh. This means that this user will use the tcsh shell when logging in through telnet, ssh. Fortunately this has nothing to do with ftp. change /bin/tcsh to /dev/null

Thanks for your reply, but that was not really what I meant. What I was looking for was a way to remove or hide a user from the login screen (the one that we see when we start our Mac).

I thought I read somewhere that removing the Long name for the user in NetInfo Manager would prevent the user from appearing in the list of users in the Login Screen.

Could be wrong though and can't remember where I saw that(or thought I did ;) ).

Originally posted by cybergoober
I thought I read somewhere that removing the Long name for the user in NetInfo Manager would prevent the user from appearing in the list of users in the Login Screen.

Could be wrong though and can't remember where I saw that(or thought I did ;) ).

Worked great, thanks!

Back