Preview Safari plugin?

go to versiontracker and search pdfbrowser. its a plugin for safari (works in all 10.x versions) and allows you to view pdf in safari

Originally posted by spitty27
go to versiontracker and search pdfbrowser. its a plugin for safari (works in all 10.x versions) and allows you to view pdf in safari

Thanks. I've been using that for over a year now I think. Very good, but simply for viewing. No search, no text selection, no mouse wheel support, etc. Too limited.

Originally posted by cf25
can't you use adobe reader inside of safari?

I don't think it works in any OS X browser. I know there's an option for it, but nothing seems to use it.

Originally posted by hazmat
I don't think it works in any OS X browser. I know there's an option for it, but nothing seems to use it.

It only works in OS 9 or Windows.

I'm kinda glad about it. I don't think there's anything worse than to look at a PDF inside a browser window. ;-) ... Yet, I see that some people need it. Write to Adobe, folks. It should be their job to finally support OS X with this. And make it a user pref, of course...

I think that Adobe is not interested in making a full-support plugin. I'm sure they like the pdfbrowser plugin by schubert, but I guess they like the idea you need Reader to fill PDFs and to perform moreorless advanced tasks.

Originally posted by toast
I think that Adobe is not interested in making a full-support plugin. I'm sure they like the pdfbrowser plugin by schubert, but I guess they like the idea you need Reader to fill PDFs and to perform moreorless advanced tasks.

In that case I can't wait to try the new Preview in 10.3. Acrobat/Reader 6.0, especially for OS X, is such a bloated piece of crap. I guess Apple needs to make a plugin for at least Safari. They make both products, why not link them together?

It may be bloated, but it's their main attack product. If Adobe releases a plugin, people will get rid of Reader 6. Bad.

It may be bloated, but it's their main attack product. If Adobe releases a plugin, people will get rid of Reader 6. Bad.

How so? I thought that the plugin just makes Acrobat open within the browser. I don't think you could remove the actual app and have the plugin still work, can you?

Ah, this type of plugin you mean ?
I don't know. I feel Acrobat people think just like fryke (and like myself, BTW): they hate those application-in-another-application window.

Ah, this type of plugin you mean ?
I don't know. I feel Acrobat people think just like fryke (and like myself, BTW): they hate those application-in-another-application window.

The company that my wife works for, their product utilizes the PDF form in the browser functionality. It works for 90% of their customers -- the remaining bit is Mac and those customers can't properly access their online systems as a result.

If Adobe would just get off their butts and port the plug-in, that company wouldn't be having these support issues.

c'mon Adobe! Port that thing!

Back