Print Preview Issues

mlerch@mac.com

Registered
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem that I am experiencing. I used to be able to set Adobe Acrobat as my default Print Preview viewer (that was in OS X 10.2.8). Whenever I pressed the print button in Netscape for example and then clicked on Print Preview it would export the page as a PDF and then open in Adobe Acrobat (because I sometimes need to modify or delete the page header information because those clowns at Netscape thought that the page header title and URL should print there, and the page numbers need to print on the bottom without giving me the option to turn it off. By the way, if someone knows how to turn that stuff off in Netscape 7.1 please let me know:).

Anyway, Since Panther this is no longer possible. No matter what I do, the darn Print Preview of the document opens up in that silly Preview application (which I of course can't use to edit or delete stuff from the preview doc).

My question is: Is there any way to turn that Preview application off? How do I get the Print Previews to open in Adobe Acrobat instead of Apple's Preview application? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. L

Try get info on a pdf doc.
Change open with to adobe acrobat and click change all.
This may work. Just a suggestion.

This fix is easy, will do what you want and give you many more options:

When you open the print dialog box, the button on the left opens a pdf in Preview, the button on the right lists a drop-down menu with default choices like "Save as ...". You can easily add any application (or AppleScript etc.) to the drop-down menu.

1. Make an alias for Acrobat (single-click the app, command-L).
2. Put the alias in the folder Hard Drive > Library > PDF Services.
3. Rename the alias something like "Open pdf in Acrobat"
4. Print, click and hold the right button, select "Open pdf in Acrobat."

I keep aliases to Reader, Safari, etc in this path, as well as some AppleScripts to automatically attach the pdf to a new mail message and a few others. Really useful.

erikv11 said:
This fix is easy, will do what you want and give you many more options:

When you open the print dialog box, the button on the left opens a pdf in Preview, the button on the right lists a drop-down menu with default choices like "Save as ...". You can easily add any application (or AppleScript etc.) to the drop-down menu.

1. Make an alias for Acrobat (single-click the app, command-L).
2. Put the alias in the folder Hard Drive > Library > PDF Services.
3. Rename the alias something like "Open pdf in Acrobat"
4. Print, click and hold the right button, select "Open pdf in Acrobat."

I keep aliases to Reader, Safari, etc in this path, as well as some AppleScripts to automatically attach the pdf to a new mail message and a few others. Really useful.

Hi Eric,

It worked like a charm. Very handy. Now if I only could turn off the header and footer printing when printing a page from Netscape I would be the happiest camper on earth. Any ideas on how to do this hack?

Thanks,

Mr. L

Use Safari instead of Netscape? (Probably not the solution you were looking for...)

Safari seems a bit slow. Also there are still caching issues with Safari. Also some of the CSS interpretations are off in Safari. Otherwiser I would use Safari :)

Back