Print server question

seano288

Registered
I have an HP OfficeJet 4215 connected to a wireless IOGear print server. I've installed the drivers from HP for this printer but when I run the setup wizard and choose the TCP/IP option and specify the appropriate IP address the wizard can't find the printer. I assume this is because the wizard is actually talking to the print server and not the printer directly.

I've tried adding a printer via the printer setup utility, but the driver for my printer doesn't show up among the driver options. I don't know why because I have installed the drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this setup working correctly?

seano288 said:
I've tried adding a printer via the printer setup utility, but the driver for my printer doesn't show up among the driver options. I don't know why because I have installed the drivers.
When you plug in the IOGear Print Server, it gets an IP address from your LAN's DHCP server or router, and begins broadcasting its own presence via Rendezvous.

Launch Safari, open Safari preferences, click the Bookmarks pane, and click "Include Rendezvous" in your Bookmarks Bar setting.

That'll give you a folder in your Bookmarks Bar that lists all the Rendezvous web sites found. Your IOGear Print Server's web interface will be one of the available Rendezvous websites available. Choose it and configure the printer from there. Then you should be able to add the printer through Print Center.

The driver supplied by HP doesn't support network printing, because it bypasses CUPS (some older HP drivers included appletalk - if your print server does appletalk - try it). You'll need to install the hpijs and ESP ghostscript driver set from:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/
(and you'll have to use the O-Jet 4200 model since yours isn't in there.)
Sorry for these workarounds - they're because HP doesn't want you to use this as a network printer. If you buy the models with ethernet or WiFi built-in, the drivers work over a network.

If you still have problems with IP printing, find the IOGEAR port Queue Name in the manual and enter that in the Setup dialog.

elander,

thanks for your response. i cannot locate a feature called 'rendezvous' with my safari browser, but i did find 'bonjour' which seems similar to what you've described. however, when i enable it, it fails to find any 'bonjour' websites available. i'm guessing that my iogear print server is not compatible with this feature.

gsahli,

thanks for your response. i downloaded the latest hp driver (july 05) for my printer which does facilitate TCP/IP printing (i assume this is network printing). what's more is that my pc's have no difficulty at all printing to the hp printer via my iogear print server. i would think that there must be some way to get this to work. when i try to set up a printer via the printer setup utility i don't find the drivers for hp among the ones available even though i've installed them. the wizard allows me to navigate to find a driver but where would i find the driver and what would it's file extension be?

i'll look into the queue name for the iogear but again, i think i'll need to install the appropriate driver.

Back