Print to pdf with letterhead

simon1663

Registered
Hi there,
this can be a tough one, and I can't find a solution for it.

I want to print letterhead. And when I print letterhead, I want to save the letterhead as pdf. We have a really high graphic letterhead. Currently we are having to print (physically) using a printer and then having to scan them in. Whereas most often we are emailing the printed document anyway.

Ideally we can change word or excel background but we have other vendor softwares which we can't modify. For those, printing in electronic pdf letterhead is quite important.

I can think of two ways of this being possible:

1. Setting up a printer or printer setting where the page background is the letterhead jpeg or gif. Don't know if this can be done????

2. Saving as pdf and then merging graphics of the document with the letterhead pdf with an application or applescript??

Anyway, my job is on the line of this. Any help is appreciated.

All systems are using panther 10.3.5.

Many thanks in advance..

There's this EXCELLENT software that is still helping me incredible good:
Print toPDF, that you can get at:
http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html

I posted similar question time ago, and didn't really find any better solutions than the above, ...just for one problem... you need to use it with OS9 (it won't run on OSX). There's also an option in OSX to do smilar... but is far too bad delevering very cheap chunky graphics...

Can the other software output the text that you import into Word (or NeoOffice/J if license is a problem)? Then it's simple - put the the text into a template that has the letterhead scanned and set as the header or a background pic. Panther offers a "Save as PDF" button in the print dialog.

You can write a simple macro in Word to automate it, probably with a little effort you could script a folder to do the same thing so it is completely "hand's free".

pds said:
Can the other software output the text that you import into Word (or NeoOffice/J if license is a problem)? Then it's simple - put the the text into a template that has the letterhead scanned and set as the header or a background pic. Panther offers a "Save as PDF" button in the print dialog.

You can write a simple macro in Word to automate it, probably with a little effort you could script a folder to do the same thing so it is completely "hand's free".

It is not me who will be doing this actually. It's operator who prints out invoices from multiple systems.. they are expecting a solution that is not too technical for a simple minded operator. Anyway, thanks for your help with the word macro idea... I will have a go..

The easiest way on a mac to output to pdf is to choose the "Print to PDF" option instead of the "Print" option when you get a dialogue box.

If you want to print things physically on your letterhead, your best bet is to find a local printer and have them print you out several 1000 of them (cheaper that way per page) and then print whatever you want on that. No need to import jpgs (which never print very well by nature of their "blocky" compression) or import graphics to your files.

Hope this helps! :)

but he wants to be able to e-mail the pdf, letterhead and all, without having to scan a physical document.

Understood, but his question included having to print out files; thus, I included that option in my answer.

I reckon this will make a cool application / plugin for OSX

being able to customize the layout of the page at driver level than using printers... I mean letterheads can be expensive. E.g. we pay something like 5c per letterhead print.. but most often we email the document anyway..

I am still exploring for solutions...

Back