Printer Advice...

sharan

Registered
What's the best photo quality printer for about 150 quid that will work with OSX (Jaguar to be precise)?

Any help will be appreciated.

IMO epson is the best all around, but ive been hearing good things about cannon and hp lately as well

the more colors the better, so try and get a 6 color printer, and the highest res possible :)

i have an epson 1280 (400 dollars us) 6 color printer, and its beautiful :)

I like dogs too...

OK, get back to business...

IMHO, Epson has low quality nozzles, thus will crap on you if you do not use it regularly enough. On the other hand, HP has got around the problem BUT their ink cartridge is more expensive. Canon... better get the higher models. My current S400SP just sux. Good for documents.

Epson has, by far, the best print quality.

My two eggs' worth. :D

Cartridge pricing is really important. Cheaper printers usually makes profit from expensive cartridges. And its always a plus to have the colors seperated so you dont have to change all colors just cuz you have run out of red.
I have an epson 750 and its ok (terrific photo-quality), but it doesnt support post-script and that is annoying. and it got all the colors except black in a bundle and it cloggs up if im not using it for a month. and the color is expensive. ok, its really crappy.
Hewletts deskjets are quick.

IMO resolution isnt that important at all (if you are not doing stuff that will be looked at with looking-glass or are supposed to have original quality).
I mean, its just silly aiming for 1200 and whatever. the eye wont see any difference on that and something that has been printed in 300. unless there is something wrong with the printer or the original.

Maybe it's just me, but I've had nothing but trouble and disapointment with my Epson 740. Lots of noise, lots of motion, and OK printout when it works , but that isn't too often lately. I'm using 10.2, but have had troubles since updating my system to 10.0 (yes, even with the latest drivers). My advice? Steer clear.

Seems like everyone, like me, is having issues with Epson.

My TWO "absents" in the past never lasted more than a year, while my 7 year old HP 810 is still knocking out prints. I go about the cartridge issue by using refills, and they work fine. I will only change the cartridge after three refills to ensure the cartridge does not get overworked and crapped on me.

The higher model Canons are ok.

My current printer, fortunately, is a rock solid Fuki-Xerox Phaser 860N. So far works perfectly in OS X / OS 9 (network, AIRPORT), without pain. But solid ink printers are very pricey. Not recommened unless you need it for graphic design work.

ive never had a problem with either of my epsons a 770i and a 1280, so maybe its the users ;)

and i always get beautiful prints :)

I hope it isn't the user... I'm actually pretty sure it isn't the user. Looking at the mothership message board, I don't see much good about absent er, Epson printers there either. I've heard a lot of people say that they are happy with theirs, but I've heard more that aren't happy at all. Maybe it's a QC issue and they have no process capability, who knows.

Since I'm at the end of my rope with the 740i, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one? The HP is beautiful, but I haven't seen much about reliability. The Lexmark intrigues me, because I've seen some great output from PC driven ones. Any suggestions?

I've been using a HP deskjet (800 something?) for little over a year, and its been really reliable. Got it from a girl who had used it on her pc, but it was just to plug it in. And the transition to X was good, apple did a great job posting every new driver at their download-site, so i guess you can say its apple approved.
the downside: all the colors, except black, are in one cartridge.
the big upside: Really fast! and it just works (to quote the switch ads :)

Get a laser printer. Sure, they cost more, but inkjets just suck. Really.

I normally wouldn't make such a blanket generalization like that, but I've been burned too many times. Don't be tempted by the low prices: You really get what you pay for with printers.

Originally posted by denniswalls
I hope it isn't the user... I'm actually pretty sure it isn't the user. Looking at the mothership message board, I don't see much good about absent er, Epson printers there either. I've heard a lot of people say that they are happy with theirs, but I've heard more that aren't happy at all. Maybe it's a QC issue and they have no process capability, who knows.

Since I'm at the end of my rope with the 740i, can anyone recommend a good all-in-one? The HP is beautiful, but I haven't seen much about reliability. The Lexmark intrigues me, because I've seen some great output from PC driven ones. Any suggestions?

Lemark is number three in the world, because of they OEM the printers for Samsung which is selling like hotcakes in some parts of the world.

Lexmark is a good buy, like Fuji-Xerox Phaser printers, only if you have support in your area for it. I am a very happy Fuji-Xerox Phaser user.

Can anyone answer this for me - does an Epson 1280 need post-script software (stylus rip, gimp print, etc.) when running in Jaguar, or is there native PS support built into the system?

I am currently using an Epson 1520 with stylus rip software through classic mode. It's a bit medieval, but it's the only way I can get properly calibrated prints because Jaguar does not support the 1520 (on a side note, i have major paper feeding probs with the printer when using special papers and sizes larger than 8.5 x11).

I am considering a used 1280 and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Can anyone recommend a quality low-end laser printer? I'm thinking about putting in an application (read: asking my parents) for a printer for my room, and I'd like to go laser because I print far more text documents than pictures. And my mom's HP Deskjet 935C works fine for pictures anyway. (My Zip drive is malfunctioning, so transferring files is a pain. Waste of a session to burn a couple files to CD, even a CD-RW.

Back