Printer not working via Airport Extreme

SteveWalsh

Registered
Hi ,

I have a MacBook now running Leopard 10.5.5 and an Epson Stylus DX4400 printer. Since I installed Leopard I cannot print via the USB connection from my Airport Extreme. I can print only if the printer is connected directly to my MacBook. This used to work fine when my computer had Tiger. I have spent hours trying to fix this with a 2nd tier tech guy at Applecare, but without success. Epson refuse to help on the grounds that routers aren't supported, or something. The printer appears to be recognised by the Extreme but when I print, the job does not appear in the print box which just says "printer ready" .

I have had to previously UNINSTALL the latest firmware version for the Airport Extreme (7.3.2) because this firmware seemed to be causing previous problems - namely my MacBook not working with Airport at all, or at least only intermittently. Leopard was installed in attempt to solve this first problem - it didn't at first, but seems to be OK now. The printer issue arose only after Leopard was installed. When I add the printer when located at Airport Extreme via System Prefs Print and Fax, it appears to find and add it OK, and indeed the printer is there with 'Airport Extreme' as the location.

I would be so grateful for any suggestions. Both Applecare and Epson have run out of ideas.

Steve W

Installing Snow Leopard has solved the problems with Airport Extreme and my Epson DX440 printer - they now understand each other perfectly. So many people had problems with printers and Airport Extreme - I hope Snow Leopard might solve them too.

Back