printer permissions, whats that!

new_roti

Registered
hi

sharing.... alsways the same problem!!

ok. i have a notbook (win2k) and a G4 osx 10.2.6. sharing with wirless lan working well.

but the printer sharing option on samba is quite funny.
so if i select thix option i can see my printers on my notbook.
if i install drivers and wants to test the printers it says

"permissions denied to connct to printer" ( hope the translation was ok)

is there any way to set up printer permissions, CUPs . samba config tool is easy enough or me but textual....sorry no way.

some infos for me? thanks!

If the printer is plugged to your win2k system, than you have to share the printer. Easy work. Go to controle panel -> printers -> rightclick <properties> -> sharing....

But I am surprised you can share a printer over samba. You sure this works?

erst mal danke für die schnelle antwort. aber leider ist es genau ander herum. die drucken sind am mac angeschlossen. kann sie am win2k laptop sehen aber nicht verwenden. "zugriff verweigert".

now in english: thanks for your fast answer. sorry... but the printers are connected to the mac. i can see them on pc. but i cant use them. "permission denied"

I think you will just have to have a valid username on the print server.
This is from the cups docs:
Printing to Windows Servers

CUPS can print to Windows servers in one of two ways. The first way ....

The second way is through the Microsoft Server Message Block ("SMB") protocol. Support for this protocol is provided with the free SAMBA software package. You can download SAMBA from:

http://www.samba.org

To configure CUPS for SAMBA, run the following command:

ln -s `which smbspool` /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb ENTER

The smbspool(1) program is provided with SAMBA starting with SAMBA 2.0.6. Once you have made the link you can configure your printers with one of the following device URIs:

smb://workgroup/server/sharename
smb://server/sharename
smb://user:pass@workgroup/server/sharename
smb://user:pass@server/sharename

The workgroup name need only be specified if your system is using a different workgroup. The user:pass strings are required when printing to Windows NT servers or to shares with passwords enabled under Windows 95 and 98. /(*************/)

I just used the form:
smb://user@workgroup/server/sharename
and that worked

Back