Printer recommendations?

nkuvu

Gone
So this is the thread where you tell me which brand of printer to get. I just dumped my HP LaserJet 1100 -- I got sick of trying to get it to work in OS X, and a friend really needed a cheap laser printer, so I sold it to her.

So I'm looking for a laser printer, compatible with OS X (obviously). I'd love color if it was the same price as black n' white. But I expect that to happen about as much as I expect Steve Jobs himself to show up on my door and offer me any computer. :)

Tell me your brands, models, caveats, whatever.

No one has any recommendations?

How bizarre. I thought that there would be tons of people arguing the relative merits of different printers...

I know nkuvu, not the most exciting of subjects but still a real part of computing life.

I'm sure you've seen prices, and $1k is about the cheapest they come for a brand name. Color...? Ka-ching! Unless you're a visual artist pro, you're world might be better served with an inkjet.

My pick for a general purpose laser printer, the HP 2200 series with a JetAdmin network option if your sharing it on a mixed network. Likes Postscript and PCL. Will play nice with others, generally (my experiences with mac* & win*).

My great lexmark x73 here works great under osx and all there new printers should have a driver update for osx. Mine is the scanner with printer all in one. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Klink
I'm sure you've seen prices, and $1k is about the cheapest they come for a brand name. Color...? Ka-ching! Unless you're a visual artist pro, you're world might be better served with an inkjet.
$1k? I'm looking at small home-use laser printers here. I was thinking more along the lines of $300... IIRC the HP 1200 is about that price.

The color printer bit was more a joke than anything else.

ERICBRIAN2002, I'll look into Lexmark. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back