Printer setup problems

psyman

Registered
I have an odd problem. I have a Sharp Copier/printer on the network which I am trying to print to from the Macs in and around our centre. When I add the printer using the printer setup utility it is added OK but when I try to print it is not in the list of printers. I have succesfully added it to 2 Macs but the rest all have the same problem. Even though it is showing up and is ticked in printer setup utility it will not show up as a printer.

Is this a simple problem and am I missing something?

OSX 10.3.5 Powerbook G4
&
eMac running OSX 10.3.5

I have PPD's for it but they do not help and the 2 Macs I can print from use generic postscript drivers but I can see no difference in setup.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

I have tried generic postscript drivers on all of them as well as the PPD's still get the same problem. I have however got all of the windows XP machines printing to it without a snag so it's not the printer/copier at fault.

Very strange

Maybe you need to tell us a little more detail. What comm protocol are you trying (first pull-down in the ADD dialog)? What model printer/copier? Some info on the network - is the printer on the same subnet as the computers? etc.

OK Things have got a little different.

I have successfully configured 12 G3 and G4 eMacs running 10.3.5 using IP Printing on address 192.168.1.6 (255.255.255.0) using generic postscript drivers.

All of the macs are obtaining their IP's from an X-Serve DHCP with the pool 192.168.1.150-254 (255.255.255.0)

The printer is a sharp AR-M160 and the PPD's/packages I was emailed from sharp are for 10.1.x and 10.2.x and will not install on 10.3.5 which was not too helpfull.

The Macs that will not see the Printer are also G3, G4 eMacs (10.3.5) and this Powerbook G4 using the same protocol, they list them and the "show printer" box is ticked but they will not show up when printing from anything.

The X-Serve is running 10.2.8 and I have tried installing the package and creating a shared printer on the domain but that just does not print (same problem as the other non show macs)

I am completely stumped now, even 2 macs that have been formatted and a re-installation of 10.3.5 will not print.

Hope thats enough info for someone to recognise the problem who maybe has resolved it.

Thanks in advance

Simon

OK, I guess you are trying to print via IP/LPR (there a 3 IP printing protocols)?
IP printing is not a browseable protocol, that is, you'll never "see" the printer. What you get is feedback that you've entered an IP address in the correct format.
For 90+ percent of devices that accept LPR, you need to enter a queue name and not just accept "use default queue." Sharp can tell you what queue name to use, but you might try common ones lp, lpt, lp1, l1, or raw.

The PPDs for the printer may be downloadable separately (not in an installer). That would probably work in 10.3.5.

Back