Printer Setup Utility error message - cant set up printer.

Khama

Registered
Not sure if this belongs here, or in the Hardware & Peripherals forum, but here goes.

Epson R300 connected to G4 iBook via USB.( Not mine, friends machine )

Printer(s) stopped working a few weeks back. Multiple printers for various locations. ( Home, Office, travel, etc.)

Printers either took print command, gave no pop up of spooling and nothing no print, or displayed a "Out of memory" error. ( BTW 640mb ram )

Opened printer spools, and cleared out old print jobs.

Deleted Epson PhotoStylus R300 printer.

Downloaded new Epson drivers.

Attempted to set up new Epson R300 on Epson USB, but any attempt to do so results in the following error:
Successful-ok-conflicting-attributes

Decided to try another printer, looked on network and found one not set up. ( Old HP Laser series 4 ) Printer utilitiy set up printer, sent print job, nothing spools and no job sent, no print from printer.

*SHRUG* anyone have any ideas? ( BTW Panther not Tiger ... 10.3.9 at most. )

Here's the shotgun approach (but you could try them one at a time to see which fixes it).
Delete the printer in Printer Setup and then re-ADD.
Repair permissions (Disk Utility).
Delete Print Prefs - search for files (File>Find) that start with com.apple.print and delete them all and then restart the Mac.
Download the 10.3.9 Combination Updater and re-Update.
Use an HD utility like Disk Warrior to repair the HD.
Last step - reinstall OS X using the Archive & Install option in the installer.

Good luck.

Bit of a last resort but have you thought of going to preferances and trashing the printer plist?

Empty it from the trash and reboot for a new plist to be created.

Then try and setup the printer again.

gsahli said:
Delete the printer in Printer Setup and then re-ADD.

Did that :-(

Khama said:
Opened printer spools, and cleared out old print jobs.

Deleted Epson PhotoStylus R300 printer.

Downloaded new Epson drivers.

Attempted to set up new Epson R300 on Epson USB, but any attempt to do so results in the following error:
Successful-ok-conflicting-attributes

But I will try the privileges and the Printing prefs ideas. I dont think anything is wrong with the HD enough to warrant Disk Warrior. The iBook is not displaying any other weird behavior.

Back