printer sharing in os 9

super_pup

scared.weird.little.guy
gday
ive got 2 computers (imac & ibook) running 9.1 and 9.2 respectively. we have a lexmark Z22/Z32 printer we'd like to share. We've tried following the directions in HelpCentre but to no avail. Is there someone who knows a lot about this that could possibly answer lots of questions about it and go thru it with me via email or here?
cheers dan :)

If the Lexmark has an ethernet port, you can get an ethernet hub and connect both computers to it, the printer to it, then load the driver to both computers. The printer should show up in the chooser.

sorry i've been away.
the lexmark doesn't have an ethernet port, unfortunately (or at least not one i can see with my eyes....) and also unfortunately we havent been able to get it working. so for the moment we've simply been unplugging & re-plugging when we want to use it

Dan,
How is the printer connected to the computer and how do you have the computers connected to share? Do you have appletalk on? Do you have file sharing on?

Ok, this is our setup: we have an imac plugged into the lexmark printer. the imac and another ibook are connected over an ethernet network (via a router). both are running 9.1 & 9.2 respectively. whenever we've tried to share the printer, we have USB file sharing on, as well as file sharing and appletalk. we can get the printer to appear on the other computer (for example, on the ibook i can see "LEXMARK on iMAC) but we cant actually get it to print...

I checked the Apple Knowledge base for you.
Do you have USB Printer sharing installed? You can download this from Apple's web site.
Here's some pointers from Apple. Check them over and see if they help.

If the printer you want to use does not appear in the Chooser or Desktop Printer Utility:
? Make sure you have installed driver software for the printer on your computer.
? Make sure you have used the USB Printer Sharing control panel to preselect the printer.

If you can't find the printer you want to preselect:
? Make sure you are looking in the correct network neighborhood. To confirm the neighborhood, go to the computer the printer is connected to, open the TCP/IP control panel, and check the first entry in the Search domains or Additional Search domains field.
? Make sure the printer is shared. Go to the computer the printer is connected to, open the USB Printer Sharing control panel, and check the Start/Stop and My Printers tabs.
? If the printer's neighborhood has recently been changed, it might take a moment for the change to be detected by your computer. Wait, then try again.
? Make sure your computer is using TCP/IP to communicate with the computer that is sharing the printer. You cannot share USB printers over an AppleTalk network.

Back