Printer won't print

J Cabaniss

Registered
I'm not sure if I have a Print Center problem, or a printer problem. Hopefully some of you guys can point be in the right direction.

I use a LAN (at home). I'm running my G4 (500mhz) under OS 10.2.1 and my other machine on the network is a Flat Panel iMac, also using OS 10.2.1. Both machines were upgraded to OS 10.2 the first week in September. There at two printers on the network, an Epson C80, and a HP 1200. My problem centers around the HP 1200 printer.

(By the way, the LAN uses a router. The two printers are anchored to a hub which is connected to one of the router's ports.)

The printers have worked flawlessly from both machines) ever since the LAN was set up (some time in February, 2002.) Flawlessly until yesterday. I send a print job to the HP, but it never printed. The Print Center's que indicates the print job is in the que and that the HP is printing, but the job doesn't print. Sending the same job to the Epson is no problem--it prints just fine. This behavior is encountered on both the G4 and Flat Panel iMac, and the problem began on the same day.

Since a print job from either machine will print to the Epson, I think this tells me that the router / hub arrangement, i.e, the network hardware, is not the problem. (The two machines share internet access through the router, and there are no problems with that, either.)

I've run the Print Center Repair freeware on the G4 and the only things that were complained about were when I ran the Printer Center Repairs resetting of permissions. There were several complaints worded as thus:
Permission repairs failed! Error type 1. Unable to repair the contents of the /System/Library/Printers/PBMs/PB_NetInfo.plugin/Contents directory because one or more of the files are missing or not in the expected locations.

Okay, guys, any guidance will be appreciated.

Joe

I have occasionally had this same problem. I believe that it's a bug in the HP driver.

When this happens, the Print Center message usually says something like "Printing page 0 of 2". Notice it says "0", not "1". When everything is working correctly it says "Printing page 1 of 2".

My workaround for this problem has been to delete ~/Library/Preferences/print*. This seems to fix it (temporarily) for me.

I'm glad to hear that this is fixed in 10.2.2. I'll upgrade tonight.

-tony

Back