Printing ain't happening . . .

Crimguy

Registered
Hey all (first post):

I am having an impossible time setting up a networked printer in OS X. I had it working successfully until recently. Things you might need to know:

1) iBook running 10.3.5

2) printer is Samsung ML1450 attached to a debian (sarge) server, running samba 3, CUPS, and other server packages.

3) iBook is attached to network via Linksis wireless. Also attached are a linux client and a Win2k client.
3)I can print from Win2k machine as well as from the debian client and server.

On the ibook, when I use the printing manager, when I try to set it up using ipp printing, I get a "client-permission-denied" error when I try to choose a driver.

I can configure the printer and print a test page by setting it up via the CUPS manager (http://localhost:631), but it requires I type in a root password. Subsequent to that, if I try to print from a regular administrator login, nothing happens and the printer status is "Stopped."

I did an ln -s of /usr/bin, and noticed the cupsys app is set as group "sys", not "wheel."

I hope someone can help me - I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Thx
Matt

Sounds like the printer is on the PC side of the network and your mac is on it's own side. You should first set up the printer in your print utility, and you may have to address the server to which the printer is connected.

We do this at work here; all our G5's are printing through a pc server to a Canon Copier/Color printer and we have to set up the printer through that specific server before it will work.

Hope this helps! It can be done. Let me know if this helps. :)

You might also see if the printer you want to use is actually supported or a driver on your OS X mac machine.

Natobasso said:
You might also see if the printer you want to use is actually supported or a driver on your OS X mac machine.

Thanks for the reply. Things seem to be set up appropriately on the server. No firewall issues, and cups is set to allow all requests from the local ip's (192.168.1.*) and subnets (255.255.255.*). Additinally, the printer is selectible on windows and linux computers as a SMB printer (I do not have samba set to upload drivers though), but while the SMB network is browseable in OS X, the printer does not appear. I'm 90% certain samba is configured correctly - I don't have very strict restrictions on it since the whole network is behind a firewall.

More info: All computers are on the same subnet. Samba shares are accessible via both the pc's and the mac. Port 631 is open to all traffic. The printer is accessible/configurable from the mac, but only if I log in as root. I have been able to successfully print to the ML1450 using a HP Laserjet 6 driver (both use PCL). I'm using the GIMPrint drivers and the HPIIJS printers from linuxprinting.org.

When going to add a printer, I select either IPP or windows printing, punch in the ip address of the printer. When I go to the dropdown menu and select a driver, I get a "user-permission-denied" error. Doesn't matter what driver I pick.

I can set up and use the printer if I do it when logged in as the root user. Doesn't help regular users too much though :-(

I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line my user and/or group permissions got borked - not sure where or what file though.

In OS X you shouldn't have to go through all the contortions you mentioned (Cups, Samba, whatever) in order to get your computer to see the print server. Have you tried just setting it up: PRINT UTILITY/ADD PRINTER/WINDOWS PRINTING and select the proper printer from the list that comes up in that window.

Let me know how this goes. I have a feeling all the programs you are trying to use are sending crissed crossed (ie confusing) messages to your print server.

I know in lp printing you have to enter "lp" as the address.

Maybe some of this helps, though after re-reading your post it may not.

Are you serving the printer through a computer or a router?

Natobasso said:
In OS X you shouldn't have to go through all the contortions you mentioned (Cups, Samba, whatever) in order to get your computer to see the print server. Have you tried just setting it up: PRINT UTILITY/ADD PRINTER/WINDOWS PRINTING and select the proper printer from the list that comes up in that window.

Let me know how this goes. I have a feeling all the programs you are trying to use are sending crissed crossed (ie confusing) messages to your print server.

I know in lp printing you have to enter "lp" as the address.

Maybe some of this helps, though after re-reading your post it may not.

Are you serving the printer through a computer or a router?

I think I was using the wrong terminology - sorry for being unclear.

When I try to add a printer using the print utility, it doesn't let me select the proper printer. That's the point where I get the "client-permission" error.

I only resorted to all those other options because the print utility wasn't cutting it. The Print Utility is really nothing more than a frontend for cups anyway.

Someone on macslash said there's a Repair Permissions utility. I'm going to investigate that for now, but if you don't hear from me, you can bet I haven't fixed it :(

To answer your other question, the printer is attached directly to a linux server via ethernet. It and the clients are all behind a router/firewall.

Crimguy,
Repairing permissions is done with the Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities).
The Brother-provided driver probably doesn't do network printing - most non-postscript printer drivers for the Mac bypass cups and can't use the cups comm protocols (the backends). Gimp-Print vers 4.2.7 and the HL1250 driver set both support the HL1440 - will that work for your printer? (these open source drivers make full use of cups):
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/
I actually used this OS X guide to set up my Mandrake print server:
http://members.cox.net/18james/osx_printer_sharing.html

Let us know how it goes.

Back