Printing from a Mac to a printer connected to a PC

FOOOD

Registered
I have my Mac & my PC networked together & have a USB printer scanner (all in 1 thing) connected to my PC

I want to print from my Mac to the printer connected to the PC but I have no idea how to set it up.

I've tried this...

From the Mac I went to Print & Fax>Add Printer. The printer list drops down & I select Windows Printing & see my PC network (as well as the mac). I select my PC & then see the shared printed & select it.
All seems fine until I try to print from the Mac.
In the printer list it says printing & a printer icon pops up in the dock.
But then I get '!' symbol in front of the printer icon & nothing prints. When I check the Printer List the status says 'Stopped'.

Would I be better getting a print server & if so would it work with the Mac & PC at the same time?

Or maybe even just get some sort of USB splitter so that both the Mac & PC are connected to the printer at the same time? :rolleyes:

check if this helps!

bobw said:
On your Windows XP Machine:

1. Log in as Administrator
2. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel
3. Then Click add/remove programs
4. Then Click add/remove windows components
5. Open the Other Network File and Printer Services section.
6. Put a checkmark in Print Services for Unix.
7. Click Ok; Click Next ( It will probably ask for your Windows Cd at this point)
8. Click finish
9. Close the add/remove programs window

Next steps will have the service start automatically, which is the prefered way to do it:

1. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel
2. Double click Administrative tools
3. Double click Services
4. Double click TCP/IP print server
5. Change the startup type to Automatic
6. Click ok and close all open windows.

Next steps setup the printer for tcp/ip printing

1. Click start>settings>printers
2. Right click the printer you want to share and select sharing
3. Click the radio button for Share as and fill in the share name you want to use. (Mine is hpphotos; for hp photosmart)

Now move to your Mac and finish things up.

1. Launch the Print Center for the Applications>Utilties folder
2. Click the Add Printer button
3. Change Appletalk to IP Printing
4. Enter the Windows XP Computer's IP address in the Address Box (Will probably look like 192.168.x.x, if you don't know go to your windows xp machine and from the Command Prompt type ipconfig, it will give you the network address for your windows machine
5. Uncheck the default queue radio button
6. Enter the name of the printer shared name that you setup on your windows machine.
7. Select your printer model, if you installed gimp print it should be there, if not pic a close model number.
8. Close print center after the printer was added.

Thanks.

I've tried it but still can't get it to work. I don't see any printers descriptions close to mine. Maybe because it's an all in one printer scanner (HP PSC 1355).

Once I selected IP Printing there's also a Printer Type drop down box below it. Should I select 'Internet Printing Protocol' or 'LPD/LPR'?

Try IPP first, if that doesn't work, try LPD/LPR.

For the driver if yours isn't listed, try a HP Deskjet 9000 series.

All-in-Ones are hard to share, and only printing will work when shared.

FOOOD said:
I want to print from my Mac to the printer connected to the PC but I have no idea how to set it up.

As bobw says, all-in-ones are hard to share. If you find a Mac driver for your printer, then install it on your Mac (needed no matter what) and hook the printer to the Mac. Then, try printing. In other words, get the printer to print directly from the Mac first. If you can't find an obvious driver, substitute drivers sometimes can be used. But, unfortunately, I can't advise you on which ones might work. If you find a driver that allows the printer to print from the Mac, but still not when attached to the PC, then post back. There are some additional "add-printer" steps you can try.

what version of os x are you using? i've got 10.2.8 and my dad had xp pro sp1 on his and i was able to get my mac to print on his printer. all he did was select share this printer. i had to go and install the latest verion of cups with fink and do some congfiguring, but finially got it working. then he bought me my dream printer for christmas (epson r200) and i've never printed to his sence. if you need, i'll try to find the detailed website i used tomorrow night, if you'd like.

bobw said:
Try IPP first, if that doesn't work, try LPD/LPR.

For the driver if yours isn't listed, try a HP Deskjet 9000 series.

All-in-Ones are hard to share, and only printing will work when shared.

Hi there, sorry to jump on this thread, but it seems i have the same challenge, i have got an HP 1315 psc all in one at my office, on a XP sp2 server machine, i have followed the above to get my G4PB to print to it, I can see the job come into the XP's printer que, spools and then says printing, but never prints>? my drivers are not on the HP drop down menu on the mac, i have tried various ones inc generic etc but no joy, if the HP1315 is plugged into the usb directly i have no problem, i have got all the install discs for the printer in mac and hp, is there a way to get the 1315 into the drop down menu on the mac? or alternative methods to network print to it.

At home i have an Emac sharing a PSC1200 series no problem, all my Macs and Peecees use it, if only Windoze was as easy ehh?????

Look forward to your help. :)

Sorry also jump in but I have a similar situation. My brother is running an windows machine running XP Pro with a parallel port HP Laserjet printer that he has shared out. My nephew has a MacBook Pro and he wants to be able to print to that same printer. I went to the system preferences and attempted to add the printer. When I clicked on the "+" sign to add a printer. However the next window opened up with the "Add" button grayed out and it did not give me the images for "default", "fax", "ip", or "windows". I have a MacBook and I was able to do this on mine. Is the MacBook Pro that different then the MacBook?

... Is the MacBook Pro that different then the MacBook?
If you don't say which OS is on each machine and which model LaserJet you are trying to use, then we have no idea.

To your issue, gsahli's post immediately above yours gives substantial help if you would read it. Elsewhere on this forum, are numerous similar posts. However, it is substantially easier for follow gsahli's today because CUPS is an integral part of MacOS X and every Intel-based Mac. The only question is do you have the CUPS driver for your specific printer.

I am sorry for not giving all of the details. The printer in question is an HP 1100. As for the Mac's both are running Snow Leopard. But I still don't understand why the "Add" button would be grayed out on the MacBook Pro.

Yes, the PC and the MacBook Pro are both on the same subnet. The MacBook is obtaining an IP address via DHCP from the router that the PC is connected to via a ethernet cable.

I am sorry for not giving all of the details. The printer in question is an HP 1100. As for the Mac's both are running Snow Leopard. But I still don't understand why the "Add" button would be grayed out on the MacBook Pro.
Download and install Gutenprint.

Back