Printing issue with Intel Netport Express

Howardr

Registered
Greetings All;

New Mac BookPro with with OSX/SL installed with all current updates.

I have an Intel Netport Express with an HP 2100 Laser Jet printer and HP 500 Desk Jet printer attached. A while ago some one pointed me to the following URL:

http://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/laserjet-2100-through-intel-netportexpress/5639.html

Titled: Laserjet 2100 Thru Intel Netport Express Mac Support.

Being my machine is used and I had to rebuild it from the install disks I lost the information to install the printer through the NetPort Express. I thought it went something like this:

ipd://192.168.1.50/lpt1_passthru Nothing seems to work any longer..

I'm pulling my hair out with this as I need to print. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thankshh

I thought it went something like this:

ipd://192.168.1.50/lpt1_passthru

Since the Netport Ex is older, I think you need to use the lpd protocol for it.
In Print & Fax (print & scan), click + to add, select IP printer > lpd, then enter IP address 192.168.1.50, and queue name lpt1_passthru (or try just lpt1).

Since the Netport Ex is older, I think you need to use the lpd protocol for it.
In Print & Fax (print & scan), click + to add, select IP printer > lpd, then enter IP address 192.168.1.50, and queue name lpt1_passthru (or try just lpt1).

Greetings and thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely correct.

I was able to telnet to the IP address for the Newport Express and it showed that the ports were LPT1, LPT2 and COM.

When I brought up the Newport web page (http://192.168.1.50) it showed PP1 and PP2 for the ports in question which I changed to the LPT1 and 2 names.

Then followed the instructions which you stated here by using the address as 192.168.1.50 and the queue names as LPT1_PASSTHRU etc.

Then selected the HP Deskjet 500-CUPS+Grtenprint V5.2.9 driver, used almost the same for the HP 2100 Laserjet printer; HP Laserjet 2100-CUPS+Grtenprint V5.2.9 for the other printer.

Everything is working now.

I also have an HP Deskjet 5850 Series 5800 Color Printer which I have been pulling out my hair to get connect and working.

After using various different combinations of setting and then trying to print something to the printer, all it said that it was trying to connect but nothing ever printed.

HP stated that this printer isn’t supported any longer in SL., but it does work if you are lucky and finally find the magic setting as I did. Below is a brief description of the options which I used just in case someone who has the same printer and the same issues as I had and finds this post on the internet:

I used the Jetdirect socket.
Defined it as an IPP printer.
Use the actual network address on my network as 192.168.1.11.
IE: Driver is: HP DeskJet 5900 Series
url: socket://192.168.1.11/

Hope others can benefit from this as there are tons of issues regarding the lack of HP support for the 5850 printer in SL.

Back