printing option --possible?

tinroots

Registered
I'm trying to figure out how to link up my usb epson 1270 printer to a (for example, U.S. ROBOTICS USB Print Server TCP/IP) usb printer server and then connect the server to my existing linksys wireless router? So, will I then be able to connect to the printer via any of the computers wirelessly connected in the house. Hope I'm making sense?! I have two ibooks, one running 10.3.9 and one running 10.4.4 and sometimes run into other computers in the house.
Is this a crazy idea?

This can be done. I want to caution that you may not be satisfied with the result (from OS X). You have to use a CUPS driver for standard network printing. Epson doesn't provide CUPS drivers, so you have to use the third-party driver Gimp-Print (CUPS) that Apple has included in Panther/Tiger.

(Using the Apple Airport Express gets around this issue - apple's airport software redirects output from USB on the Mac to USB on the print server - you get to use the Epson driver (I don't have a 1270 - it is USB, right?))

Have you gone through the manual and connected to the print server to set it up?
What model is it, so I can read the manual, too?
Setup of the USRobotics print servers I've seen has been difficult - USR uses non-standard port values for a standard protocol - IPP.

Back