printing out osX finder window

Magnus Maximus

Registered
???

Lets say I have a 6 page long Finder window in os 10.1, it shows a "list view" of my files and folders. I really would like to print it out quickly, as I can using system 9 or earlier.

HOW DOES ONE DO THIS (SIMPLE) TASK?

Note: I have a Titanium G4 PB, 500 MB RAM; HP 5MP printer.

I do not see a "Print" command anywhere in Finder (gone in osX?)
Doing a 6-step "Grab" or a 6-step "shift-apple-4" is not a viable (too time consuming) option. Is there a trick shortcut? or this is a osX Finder flaw?
I just want a very fast printout of my directories and their contents (full names etc.).

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.

I'll have to add to this tonight, just on my lunch break right now

I believe you may be able to select all, copy, then paste the results into a text/word processing program (like text edit)

this will at least get you the file names

there may be 3rd party software to either do this print of the window, or to make a catalogue of the folder, that can then be printed.

I'll dig through my notes I've made about Mac OS X when I get home tonight, and try to find someone else's suggestion for doing what you want to do

Actually a select all, then copy copies the files and folders (in 10.1), then when you paste them (even with TextEdit in the foreground) it pastes the files and folders to the finder.

There is an application that was posted to versiontracker maybe a week ago(?) that describes itself as allowing you to print from applications that you normally can't print from. Maybe one of those applications is the finder? It will take some digging in versiontracker, but that may be your solution.

Print Window available from VersionTracker (MacOS X Tab selected)
http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.html

and search for "Print Window"

there might be other apps as well, but that one seemed to have good reviews.

last updated Oct 15th, so it definately works with 10.1 (and one of the new features realtes to 10.1's ability to have user prefs for filename extensions being viewable)

I did test the selecting files in the finder, doing a copy, and then pasting into textedit... at least on my setup, it seemed to work, without messing up any files in the finder
(I tested with my Movies folder)

Originally posted by BMarsh
I did test the selecting files in the finder, doing a copy, and then pasting into textedit... at least on my setup, it seemed to work, without messing up any files in the finder
(I tested with my Movies folder)

The same thing also worked fine on my system (OS X 10.1.2), just gave it a try as I also want to print out my finder window...
Copy/Pase into TextEdit seems to be a good way, but anyways Apple should revive the Print command in the Finder....

Back