Printing problems in Panther

sanderstar

Registered
After I installed Panther i haven't been able to print to the lexmark printers on the network. When I print I can see that it is sending reguarly as it is supposed to but the print somehow never shows up..

I also have a HP and an Epson which works fine.

Any sugestions??

We need some more informations.
How is the printer plugged to the network? Printserver? Shared by a windoze box?
Did you check for new lexmark drivers? Can you ping the printer? Are you using TCP/IP printing or appletalk?

Zammy-Sam said:
We need some more informations.
How is the printer plugged to the network? Printserver? Shared by a windoze box?
Did you check for new lexmark drivers? Can you ping the printer? Are you using TCP/IP printing or appletalk?

They worked fine when using the jaguar..

I can see the printers via appletalk. I have tried to reinstall the drivers from the installlations cd, deleting the printers and setting them up again..

They are just on the network with their ethernet cable. Not shared by a windoze..

How do i ping them??

When i look after the printer on appletalk I can see them. I can allso print to them. the print leaves my machine, but they never reach the printer

I just attached another laserprinter (HP).. works like a charm...

The printers causing problems are lexmark 622, Lexmark 520 and a Lexamark Optra 1275..

Great!!!
Lost my long post! :(
There are still some bad bugs on this site.

Anyway, here what I actually wanted to post:
It surely has something to do with the drivers. And deleting the driver and setting it up again (the way you did) is not a clear reinstall. You need to delete some more files in different folders, which I can't recall yet.
Anyway, I got the idea that you should try to access your printer over TCP/IP and turn off appletalk. How to do? You need to turn off appletalk on the printer menu. Then set up a new printer using TCPI/IP instead of appletalk. You will need to specify the ip of your printer, since it's running as a printserver.
Why this idea? Maybe the drivers for your lexmark printer have some probs with panthers appletalk?!?

I had another idea too:
is it possible for you to plug the printer directly to your mac? Using usb... It would be great for testing.

Ok, sorry for this briefly post, but I am really pissed that I lost the one I wrote before. Next time I will copy my text before I send it. Grrrrr

I'll try with the TCP/IP...

Btw.. If i print from quark in classic, there's no problem..

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to plug in the printer with usb..

"I'll be back"

You can either set an ip-number in the printer menu or if it's running at DHCP, you should be able to check at the printers display what ip it got.
Windoze machines kinda scan and find TCP/IP printers automatically. Do you have a windoze box plugged to that network? otherwise try a random ping ;)

Are you sure? We have two network printers here. Tried not using appletalk and it worked...
Do you get the same problem like using appletalk? Meaning print job gets out but printer doesn't do a thing?
If so, I would say: the current driver of yours can't handle printing over network using panther and lexmark. Might be a too quick conclusion, but I would really consult lexmarks support.

My server is still Jaguar and i can still print to the lexmarks from there.. I Started printservice and Installed the printers from there.. Then I printed to my server.. Then prints was added in the quee, and was printed from the server. But still the printer didn't print.. I'll call The supportes to se if they have a solution..

Thanks for spending all that time trying to help..

I'll post the solution.

If there is any

/S

This indicates that what the Lexmark Panther driver generates is invalid PostScript or at least contains something your printer doesn't like. I don't think it's related to the network connection.

Somehow you need to gather the error message from your printer. On HP LaserJets I remember that one could enable a diagnostics option in the printer panel menu (don't remember exactly how).

If this is not possible you could print to a file both on Jaguar and on Panther and then diff the generated files. This will not fix your driver issues but could shed some light on the cause of the problem.

Hmm.. I called the Lexmark support hotline. And here's what they came up with.. NOTHING!! The supporter told me that Lexmark haven't made drivers since OSX1. They refused to make drivers for OSX2 because Apple without notice had made larger changes in the core of the system which also effected printing. He said that Lexmark had chosen to wait and see if there came other changes to the system which would change how they should make new drivers.

He also told me that it was very individual if the drivers would work or not in OSX2..

He didn't know anything about Panther..

rgh: I enabled error messages on printer. but there isn't any..

I also believe it's something with the driver and the way it works with Panter, because same driver works with jaguar perfectly. I have tried to copy the print drivers form server to my workstation still no print.

I tried to print to file (ps) on both machines, and then distill them in Acrobat Distiller, the one on jag worked fine but there was an unknown error in the distiller when distilling the panther ps. Both jobs were distilled on my computer with 10.3...

Yippie...

That worked... I used Gimpprint with a driver for a HP laserwriter.. Now it's allmost pefect.. The only odd thing is that the printer prints a page with a few codes afterwords...

I'll try some different Drivers

Thx Alot

Back