problem for running a open gl example on mac

skd_aitpune

Registered
Hi,

I am using mac to compile and run a graphics example. I had the trouble with the glut libraries but then I downloaded and installed them. The application compiles without errors but fails when I try to execute it giving error

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/sandeep/Documents/graphics/./cube
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

The make file I am using is

INCLUDE = /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/include
LIBDIR = -L/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib

CC = gcc
CCFLAGS =

OBJFILES = cube.o

LDLIBS = -lX11 -lXi -lXmu -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lm

cube : $(OBJFILES)
$(CC) $(CCFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBDIR) $(OBJFILES) $(LDLIBS)

cube.o : cube.c
$(CC) $(CCFLAGS) -c cube.c -I$(INCLUDE)

I have been trying out different options through google but nothing helps. If anyone can help me on this. Thanks in advance.

If you're running this on the command line try setting your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable:

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib

Then try running the app again....

I tried that now the error message is:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/sandeep/Documents/graphics/./cube
Reason: no suitable image not found Did find:
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib: can't map
Trace/BPT trap

Where did you download the libglut files from? And if you do a:

file -L /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib

what does it tell you?

I downloaded the glut from opengl.org but the libglut.3.dylib was already there.
On running the command said by you what I get is:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library stub ppc
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library stub i386
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library stub ppc64
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library stub x86_64

Anyways I managed to overcome the problem by other way, by using the framework for glut provided in mac for xcode.
Thanks a lot for the help

Hi, I have the identical problem. Can you please tell me how you were able to resolve it?

When I run the command
file -L /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib

I get the output:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library stub ppc
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library stub i386
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library stub ppc64
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/lib/libglut.3.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library stub x86_64

Any help will be much appreciated!

Hi,

I tried to do it many possible ways but the result was u cannot do with the gl and glut libraries on mac.
The dylib libraries gives you linking error, I tired to link it in many ways, static and dynamic but all was fail

What u can do instead is , in you cpp file change all includes from GL to GLUT and the make file would be like this :

CC =g++ -framework Cocoa-framework OpenGL -framework GLUT

u dont need to include any other liraries and all

this worked for me, hope u get ur problem resolved too

Back