problem importing to address book

rosiegirl8

Registered
i have finally decided to import my addresses from excel into address book (i switched from a PC about a year ago). i exported the addresses to a csv text file and then imported it from address book. that worked fine, i set up the right labels and then clicked okay on the "text file import" box after everything was set. the problem is, when i click okay, nothing happens. the program isn't frozen but clicking okay does nothing, nothing actually imports into the address book.

what's happening?

check to see that there isnt another popup alert box hidden somewhere that you need to click on first, like a warning or confirmation or something. try closing all other applications and windows?

how many adresses you try to import ?

i had the same problem before (with 10.3 or so)
but its comes up that the importer does not any task-controlling .. so the application apears to be frozen ... (this was happen as i try to import about 4000 vcards)

make sure the file is "coma seperated" and you have in the first line the field-descriptions.
159 contacts should not be a problem at all and usaly not take longer as a few secounds.

you can not import pictures with csv's in the mac adressbook (that works only with vcards)

check "View" - "Last import" if there is anything happen before

the importer are normally very smart and detect fields himself easy

i exported the file as a comma-separated file. do i need to do anything else?

everything shows up great in the import dialog box...i can see all the addresses and they're set up okay. the okay button is blue and i click it and it turns white but then nothing happens.

I have the same problem.
Actually, the "address" fields are causing the problem. Importing everything except address fields (street, postal code, etc) works fine. Importing any addresses (home, work, others) doesn' t work (as described above - clicking blue "ok" button gives no reaction).
I am using Mac OS X 10.4 and Address Book 4.0.6.

Were either of you able to successfully transfer a csv file with addresses into Mac address book? and if not, how did you do it? Third app? Prayer?

I have excactly the same problem. I have done everything according to the instruction but nothing happens after the OK.

I saved the Excel file in the CSV format and then imported the file in Addressbook. When the pop-up screen appears telling" first card will contain the columheaders, click OK and nothing happens.

I have the same problem.
Actually, the "address" fields are causing the problem. Importing everything except address fields (street, postal code, etc) works fine. Importing any addresses (home, work, others) doesn' t work (as described above - clicking blue "ok" button gives no reaction).
I am using Mac OS X 10.4 and Address Book 4.0.6.
Thank you ulrike! The solution you provided worked. I wasn't able to import the street addresses, but everything else imported correctly.

Back